I think I used bad ammonia........ need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling my 26 gal tank for a month now. My water readings are
ammonia 2
no2 .25
no3 5
I'm using the Aquarium pham. water test kit.
My question is the Ammonia I used. I only added the first day I started the cycle and have not addd any more since. It is the Wal*Mart Great value brand. I've noticed a very light slick coating on every thing in the tank. I'm not sure if it is soap or if it should be that way. The water is crysyal clear and has no smell. Nor is there a sheen to the surface.
On the ammonia bottle it says Ingredients: Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactants.
Thank you very much for any help. :cry:

You'll probably get a better answer from others, but a google search of "surfactants aquarium cycle" led to this.

In particular:
So don’t go down to the hardware store and buy a bottle of ammonia. This kind of ammonia is usually A-OH, and is usually very dilute, making it hard to judge the amount to add. On top of this, these are sold as cleaning solutions and often contain scents, dyes and surfactants, all of which are detrimental to your aquarium.

Use ammonium chloride, not ammonium hydroxide. Ammonia hydroxide will bring your pH too low and cause you to lose alkalinity and likewise your bacteria population.

Thanks Woody,
After searching I have found the answer. Now does anyone have any advice for me on cleaning every thing out? I guess I'll be tearing it down today. Will I have to get rid of the gravel or can it be washed off? Also what about the bio wheel and filter? Thank .

I found some ammonium chloride at a chemical supply place near me. Do some searches to find a similar place near you.

Rinse the gravel and tank very well in fresh water. Then I would soak overnight in a dilute bleach solution (about 1 part bleach to 20 parts water) and then rinse again very well. Drain and fill the tank up again with water and use a triple dose of dechlorinator to get rid of the bleach. You could try to rinse your gravel out in bleach too. It may be a little harder to rinse it all well. Soak it in water with an overdose of dechlorinator, and rinse some more until the bleach smell is gone.

For the filter, I would think that you can just wipe it with a cloth dipped in a dilute bleach solution, and then rinse very well. You could also soak it in the tank with the dilute bleach solution and let it soak in the rinse water in the tank with the dechlorinator. I don't think I would bleach the biowheel. New biowheels are pretty cheap.

Ammonium Hydroxide works just fine. That's what I used. It's a very strong base, so I don't understand how it's supposed to lower pH. That really doesn't make any sense to me. In any case, that's what I used and it worked. There's no reason to be scared of it.

I used the standard ACE Hardware brand.

JRagg said:
Ammonium Hydroxide works just fine. That's what I used. It's a very strong base, so I don't understand how it's supposed to lower pH. That really doesn't make any sense to me. In any case, that's what I used and it worked. There's no reason to be scared of it.

I used the standard ACE Hardware brand.

Ammonium hydroxide will work. It is NOT a strong base. It will NOT lower your pH (because it is a base).

Also, Woody83: most bacteria prefer slightly acidic environments.

I guess I have my definition of strong wrong.

Just looked up some chemistry stuff and saw that "weak bases" have a pH of 8-12, which apparently NH4OH falls into. I know the 10% solution of Ammonium hydroxide that I used burned my skin when I got a small drop of it on there. Be careful with the stuff.

Strong acids/bases completely ionize in water. This means that there would be Na+ and OH- ions in the water if NaOH (a strong base) were added. The concentration of the acid/base has no effect on its strength, however they can still cause harm as you said.

kcsport said:
Thanks Woody,
After searching I have found the answer. Now does anyone have any advice for me on cleaning every thing out? I guess I'll be tearing it down today. Will I have to get rid of the gravel or can it be washed off? Also what about the bio wheel and filter? Thank .

Unfortunately, I have some experience here. You can read my sad story at this post:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=693194#post693194

It was recommended to me to get rid of my Bio Wheel, and I did. They are very inexpensive anyway, any PetSmart will have it (take in your old one to fit it), and you'll have to recycle anyway, so no chance risking it.

Back
Top Bottom