I think I'm cycled :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IzzySuite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think after about 2weeks, my fishless cycle is complete :) I checked and adjusted religiously every morning around 9am, and we had to leave town Friday night, so I didn't get to check Saturday morning's reading until about 9pm Saturday night, and had an early Christmas present of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 40+ nitrates. I'll check em a few more times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but I was excited.

Kinda a pointless post, but I just wanted to do a public victory dance :) and wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions throughout the process :)

Apparently it was a false reading last night. I did my usual tests tonight (24 hrs later) and nitrites were off the charts again :( Im gonna leave it and let it go for 36 hours to try to replicate the results of yesterday, then get back on my morning routine tomorrow. That was the only thing I did different, being gone I was 36 hours between tests and redosing ammonia instead of the usual 24. Terribly disappointing!

Apparently it was a false reading last night. I did my usual tests tonight (24 hrs later) and nitrites were off the charts again :( Im gonna leave it and let it go for 36 hours to try to replicate the results of yesterday, then get back on my morning routine tomorrow. That was the only thing I did different, being gone I was 36 hours between tests and redosing ammonia instead of the usual 24. Terribly disappointing!

What should the readings be then before you add fish ? My tank is currently cycling

O ammonia, o nitrites and high nitrates and it's cycled if I understand correctly.

Probly a pretty dark red, >80 ppm. It's off my chart high

You don't want high nitrates but you will rarely get none. High nitrates cause discomfort to fish and can be deadly to some. High nitrates can cause a fish to become stressed allowing and opportunistic bacteria or parasite to strike.

40ppm is considered the limit by most but I aim for around 20ppm maximum. You can control nitrates by keeping a clean filter by washing in removed tank water, vacuuming gravel, and doing large weekly water changes.

If you are having to change water too frequently then you are either over stocked, you fish produce a bioload that is too big for the tank or you are not maintaining the tank correctly.

Hope this helps :)

Caliban07 they are talking about a fishless cycling nitrate readings when the cycle is complete ;)

When your tank is cycled your nitrates will be through the roof, just do the biggest water change you can before adding fish to get rid of them. The bacteria doesn't live in the water so it won't affect your cycle.

Nitrates should be atleast lower than 20ppm, and even at that i wouldnt add anything but hardy fish. 10 and below is where you wanna be ;). And then your cycled, not at 80 nitrates.

Yea I misread the post lol. I thought continuing from the earlier questions that they were asking what the nitrates look like when the cycle is complete. I didn't connect the the dots with the adding fish part and I should have added the big wc. Good thing you guys were on top of it :)

Back
Top Bottom