I understand a 10 gallon tank for a single fancy goldfish is not ideal. But?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John10e

Aquarium Advice Newbie
However, I ask , isn't it a better deal for that one fancy goldfish to get out of Walmart and into its own 10 gallon tank? Instead of remaining with a bunch of other goldfish in the Walmart 10 gallon tank? To most likely only to be sold to somebody doing no research and stuffing it into a 2.5 or 5 gallon bowl, perhaps even worse, with one of its Walmart buddies?

Yea, sure it's better, but think in the long term.
An oscar in a 10 gallon is better than in the Petco, but in the long term it won't be good in there either and just lead to more issues.
Sometimes there are things we can't fix and we just have to accept that.

10G is a decent solution for now with some tank maintenance. You'll have to revisit it later and it may not be tool long. As you say a lot better than jammed in an LFS tank, or living in an unfiltered bowl like most goldfish for the past 100 years.

Some ideas to consider:

1. Walmart usually has a filter system, so those tanks are actually connected by the water volume, just not by the size.

2. A goldfish WILL outgrow a ten gallon quickly, especially if it's a common 'feeder'. Commons really should go in a pond.

3. If you do get one, you will now be responsible for that fish, and if you falter on taking care of it and massive, massive constant water changes, or investing in a much bigger tank, it will suffer.

3. The minute you buy one, you are putting cash in the companies pocket, and they will replace that goldfish with another one. They will keep doing this as long as people buy them.

If you truly feel like doing something about it, I would recommend writing to walmart, to various animal care organizations and talking to people about proper fish care. This will get far more done than buying a single goldfish.

I've seen lots of people talk about rescuing fish from pet stores, but you are just buying a fish. It may rescue that fish, but there will always be more and more to replace it, as long as people will buy it. Refusing to buy from shabby conditions and letting any store know why you refused to buy will speak volumes.

Great point Toad. Can't argue with point 4. Thanks nirbhao for the link. I'll look at getting back into tropicals with my 10 gallon. I'll revisit goldfish if I can get a bigger tank in the future

Back
Top Bottom