I WANT a noisy tank (in my bedroom) - hardware suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, HI, I'm new here.

I am going to be starting a tank soon, I've wanted to for years and finally have the space and (some) cash to do it with. I'm going to go freshwater, probably tropical. I really like the colorfulness of marine tanks, but I dont think its the right choice for me now as I'm a newb at keeping aquariums, and saltwater seems prohibitively expensive / difficult.

On to the subject, yes, I want a noisy tank. Yes, in my bedroom, where I sleep. my room has noise problems as it is (intermittent traffic 10 ft away and tv/living room sharing a thin wall) and I would like to use the aquarium to help produce some white noise. Not grinding machinery and the sound of someone constantly urinating, but the sound of water moving / bubbling and humming noises.

I am looking at buying a 30-40 gallon tank. I am very interested in the eclipse enclosed systems, but they may be too nice for what I am trying to do, as apparently they produce almost no noise.

Can you guys help me out with picking out the right equipment? again, I dont want grindy / clicky noises from the machinery, but humming is good. I also dont want the sound of water being poured into a bucket in large volumes, but lapping / bubbling / flowing would be awesome. and of course effective. I havent gotten around to planning what inhabitants to put in, but will go about that slowly, probably for a month or so I will have plants and a few african dwarf frogs (which I already have and are in need of a larger habtat)

Thanks!

I don't really think you could go wrong with any HOB filter. I have a 10 gallon with a penguin 150 and a 46 with a penguin 350, when filled up to the base of the water return they are damn quiet. However if you set the water level a little lower it gets increasingly louder, I have my 10 gallon set about a .5 inch from the bottom of the return and it sounds much like a creek/gentle stream. As for a hum, go and get an air pump they hum.

I'd have to agree with push350z a hob filter is the way to go for white noise. If you very the water level in the tank you will get your correct amount of water noise your looking for. Again push350z is right on the money with an air pump for a nice little hum. I found the aqua filter is a good brand for your hang on back filter, maybe try a penguin for the air pump.

hob

Yup, a HOB is probabably your best bet. But definetely go with an Aqua Clear. Does a great job and extremely versatile. The AC50 is a good size for a tank of 30 or 40 gal. Besides keeping your water level lower, you can increase the splashing noise a little by placing a shim of 1/8 of inch or under the filter. This raises it up in relation to the tank.

If you don't mind spending more money, a small canister filter would work very well, too. Especially if you go with the bigger tank and have messier fish. I am sure the noise level can be raised by playing with the plumbing a bit. Good luck!!

this place is awesome, its been like an hour and I've got 3 people responding. I'll go research these options..

I'd suggest going with a sponge filter.

They make wonderful, burbling sounds. You'll also need an air pump, which creates a steady humming "white noise" sound that you'll really only notice when it's not running.

If you want an air pump that produces a lot of noise, get an Eheim. I had one that was so loud you could hear the hum two rooms away. My AquaClear hob filters do not hum, but they produce a nice trickling sound.

I will also recommend the HOB Aquaclears. I have an Aquaclear 500 (aka 110) and it does have a "babbling brook" sound which is nice as white noise.

The other option is anything with a bio wheel.

Yeah, I have my 55 in my room and I would recommend a Penguin filter with a bio-wheel and setting the water level a little lower. Nice waterfall effect. I have the Penguin 350 on mine and if I don't get the water level up to just under the filter lip....it's pretty noisy. My cannister on my 55 is so quiet I wouldn't even know I had a tank in there without the HOB so you might want to skip the cannister. Get an HOB and an airpump and your traffic racket will history.

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, bubble bobble! :n00b:
Wow, I'm always topping the water off in the bedroom tanks to reduce noise! Playing with the water level will definately give you the sound you want. Air pumps will also create a humming. There should never be a mechanical sound coming from the filter--if there is, check for problems! As for colorful fish to live with your frogs, there are tons of choices and you will be able to get the tank you desire.

the cheapy hydor airpumps also are pretty loud. and i think any HOB would be good as well. Aqua Clear are great filters, and make a good noise.

The key question that has not been asked is do you plan on having life plants with relatively good light? What I'm getting at is do you plan on having elevated CO2 levels in the tank. If you plan on having DIY or compressed CO2 you will be looking for white noise that does not increase the turbulence of the water (so things like HOB filters, air pumps, power heads are not the best choice). If the answer is no, a HOB with supplimental air pump (feeding a bubble wand, decoration, etc) would be the perfect way to go.

haha i won't suggest any equipment but i gotto say i can't sleep when the house goes quiet..
usually means there is a powerfailure so I end up getting up stressing about the fish!

if you want some nice noise and you have room to spare you could have the HOB filter and right below it almost like a rock cave that came near the surface and have the water splash onto the rocks, it shouldnt be too loud but give the effect of a creek

My apartment is about 200 ft from the cargo train tracks so i understand wanting noise to cover noise. In my experience for sleeping in the same room as a tank I prefer the sound of an air pump/air stone, it has a softer gurggling but consistant sound, rather than the trickling water sound of a HOB. HOB can produces as much or as little noise as you need them too. And from experience it's a lot easier to reach over and unplug the air pump if the tank noise happens to be keeping you awake then it is to get up and top off the tank. :) Probably better than turning off the filter too. If you want a lot of noise I would go with a fluval canister. Not only does my fluval make a bit of noise itself (not like the ehiem I have), but if you drop the water level it's like niagra falls! I don't know if the fish like that turbulence though. :)

if you want the water sounds here's my recommendations:

waterfall effect: use a hang on the back filter and lower the water level so the filter is constantly pouring water into your tank

bubbling effect: definitely go with an air filter and try various air stones for different sounds

gurgling effect: I'd consider a powerhead that will push the water around your tank ... you could basically overpower it to get a lot of water movement at the top of your tank ... that would hopefully get you some water white noise without blowing everything in your tank around (not that i've tested this tho)

I'm not a fan of Eclipse tanks because you're stuck with all their proprietary lighting components, and the tanks are usually odd sizes so you can't easily buy a new hood off the shelf.

AquaClear for HOB filters, all the way. Nice reliable waterfall sound.

Back
Top Bottom