I want to start a shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few Questions:

1) I want to keep RCS. What is the minimum size tank? Would a 10g be ok?

2) I have heard they have a very light bio load. What should I know about filtration.

3) What is a good food for them?

4) Exactly how prolific are they?

:thanks:

skiweeangel said:
A few Questions:

2) I have heard they have a very light bio load. What should I know about filtration.

1. Yes it will be sufficient! Are u gonna make it planted?
2. Even though they have low bioload, u should still cycle it tank. With shrimp only tank a sponge filter is the best choice! U can go hob or canister but u will need to prefilter the intake to prevent any shrimp from getting sucked into the filter.
3. Algae wafers? Blanched vegs, bloodworms anything really they aint fussy at all. Any food with copper in it are best for them.
4.very prolific, if the condition is right, it shrimp will be berried almost all the time.

Here's my favorite website for shrimp

http://www.planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html

A few Questions:

Hey Skiweeangel,

For your first question, a ten gallon would be plenty space for Red Cherries, to live comfortably and breed. Cherries are a very hardy, perfect for first, type of shrimp. Hard to kill, will live in a wide range of conditions, and will more then likely breed.

Filters, it depends how much water current you personally want. On some of my shrimp tanks I use HOB Power Filters, rubber band some nylon stocking around the intake, and works great. For less current, and ease, I'd suggest just getting a sponge filter, typically used by shrimp breeders.

Food kind of depends on what your shrimp will eat. I had some shrimp they wouldn't touch flake food and had some that loved it. I don't know why even if they were the same shrimp in different tank. So I'd say keep a variety. They commonly like broiled veggies, bottom feeder sinking pellets, and algae wafers.

I don't really know what you mean by prolific, if it's like personalities, they don't have much. They just are really peaceful, scavenger the plants and ground for food. They are workers, pretty much.

Other tips, try to look into live plants, they love 'em. Java moss, hornwort, and naja grass aka guppy grass, are common plants they use low light, and are typically found in the common shrimp tank. Also watch out for liquids you add to the water, if they have high amounts of copper or have a warning to say not to use with invertebrates, don't use them.

Anymore questions feel free to ask, I've been keeping shrimp for many years now.

Peace,
Ben

Last edited:
I just got ghost shrimp for the first time ever. Shrimp used to freak me out!! Now I love them and I want more :) hehehe

FishCrazyBenBOMB said:
Hey Skiweeangel,

For your first question, a ten gallon would be plenty space for Red Cherries, to live comfortably and breed. Cherries are a very hardy, perfect for first, type of shrimp. Hard to kill, will live in a wide range of conditions, and will more then likely breed.

Filters, it depends how much water current you personally want. On some of my shrimp tanks I use HOB Power Filters, rubber band some nylon stocking around the intake, and works great. For less current, and ease, I'd suggest just getting a sponge filter, typically used by shrimp breeders.

Food kind of depends on what your shrimp will eat. I had some shrimp they wouldn't touch flake food and had some that loved it. I don't know why even if they were the same shrimp in different tank. So I'd say keep a variety. They commonly like broiled veggies, bottom feeder sinking pellets, and algae wafers.

I don't really know what you mean by prolific, if it's like personalities, they don't have much. They just are really peaceful, scavenger the plants and ground for food. They are workers, pretty much.

Other tips, try to look into live plants, they love 'em. Java moss, hornwort, and naja grass aka guppy grass, are common plants they use low light, and are typically found in the common shrimp tank. Also watch out for liquids you add to the water, if they have high amounts of copper or have a warning to say not to use with invertebrates, don't use them.

Anymore questions feel free to ask, I've been keeping shrimp for many years now.

Peace,
Ben

Hey! I sent u a private message.. About rcs

skiweeangel said:
Ditto Flossie! :lol:

Shrimp are the bomb :)

To the op they will eat anything. Mine like sinking wafers the ones with
Algae and the ones with krill. They also eat flake food and Betta pellets! Lol everything

Back
Top Bottom