ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a silver dollar that looks like it has ich. there is little bubble lookin things all over it. And just a few on the other dollar.. All the other fish seem to be fine and not have any spot on them. My question is, is this ich and if this one ghas it will all them have it. I ghave some tablets I can use thats supposed to cure all paracites

Here's an article on ich: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=32
Does this look like what your fish have? If so, you'll need to treat the whole tank, even though some fish don't show spots now.

A lot of members here have had good results with the heat, or heat-salt treatment, as detailed in the article. Also, do water changes daily -- this will remove the parasite in its free-swimming stage of its life. Gravel vac a little more frequently also, to remove the cysts that fall to the substrate.

I would recommend the heat treatment over meds -- the meds are only effective in a short window, when the parasite is in the free-swimming stage. Remember to raise the temparature slowly as to not stress the fish. I would raise a degree every 6 hours, and get the temp up to 87 degrees. Keep the tank at this temp until two weeks after you have seen the last spot. The increased temperature can lower the dissolved oxygen level in the water, so if you can, increase the surface agitation to bring more oxygen into the water. Some filters have a spray bar you can adjust a little bit, or lower the water level in the tank just a little bit so that the returning water coming from the filter splashes more than usual. This surface movement will put more oxygen into the water.

ok, so how am I sure to get rid of this? I took the one out that had it on him the most . His upper lip looks like its rotted off. I want to just flush him. and the other at that..

Ok earlier today before I notcied the ich I did a water change and gravel vac.

Then about 10 mins ago I dropped some tablets in the water that kills parasites. ane I turned the heat up.

Im wondering if you can only kill them when they are free swimmin then is there any use of teh meds right now? And how do u know they are swimmin? All i can see is the white dots...

If the dots are only on 2 fish will they show on all the fish even with the meds already in there>?

What if I just take both my silver dollars out and flush them, you think it would make the rest safer? cause I dont want to lose all these fish . I just paid 40 bucks on them..

Besides the salt bath what can I do ? Actaully how do I go about the salt bath? cause Im gonna have to get more ich tabs tomorrow.. I have the stuff that makes the water all blue but I dont like it

more help please

I also took my whole filter out? will this be ok, or shoudl I replace it and cut it to where the carbon is out

update. I put a new filter in without the carbon.. debatin on throwin the dollars out

I really wouldn't "throw them out", if it's ich, then you'll have an empty tank when you're done removing infected fish (Also, never flush a live fish, that's very cruel, The garbage is the best place for deceased fish, but if they're alive then treatment should be done). treatment works well, I've used Coppersafe which worked well, but it's difficult to remove from the tank (and will kill shrimp, snails and loaches), but it does work well.

Upping the temp to 87 will kill it, but it will take about a week, and when no dots are present then keep going for a week with the heat.

Adding salt to the tank is typically harmless (unless you have something that doesn't react well to salt.., but most fish don't care, it's also recommended that the salt be added to help the fish breath at higher temps.) Just follow the directions on the box, and break up the doze into 3 (3 smaller doses rather then just adding it all in one shot)

The missing lip is concerning, That's more common with Columnaris (cotton mouth), but you would see white stringy cotton like growth coming out of the gill area, (ich secondary?) and if that's the case then anti-bacterial would be the best way to go (with the heat), have you noticed anything other then white spots (like grains of salt) and a missing lip?

Perhaps a picture of the fish would be helpful here.

I agree. Don't throw the fish out. I have a silver dollar that lost it's whole upper lip to an infection. That was a few years ago, and he is fine.

The best treatment for ich is heat and salt. Adding ich meds will kill off the bacteria growing in the filter and substrate, leading to the tank cycling all over again.

How much heat, and how much salt? I am worried about my 125 gal. I lost one of my bala sharks the other day and my clown knife last night. :( I'm having bad luck with my tanks....

ok say my fish cant handle 87 f.. what else is there to do? I used a dose last night. today should I add more and a 25% water change? I out my silver dollar back in..

My Ill got sucked up in the damn filter again last night hes gone.. Ill have to get anther one.. anyways someoen fill me in.

thanks

also I am rasing the temp// its around 81 now.. Yall know if these fish can live in 87 degrees?

2 black fin sharks, 2 silver dollars, 2 swortail/and or one sword and a platy, 2 dwarf frogs, and 2 scissor tail rasbora

From what Ive looked up in the past nmothing has said anythign about 87 degrees

maybe temp ranges from 72-76 I dunno if thats the highest tey can stand

I would recommend moving the frogs to QT, though you can boil them and they won't jump out, I don't think they are quite as tropical as the fish.

Not familiar with mollies and platies, but I reckon they're fine with it, the rasbora/dollars should do alright. I really don't know about the BlackFin Sharks, perhaps someone else here knows.

I haven't heard of frogs getting ich, but I guess you should keep an eye on them in QT.

I did a 20% water change earlier and now Im uppin the temp. its around 84 now

ok today my female swordtail, or platy died. I dunno why.. ONly my silver dollars show ich spots on them. and only one if them is bad. Ive got my temp up to 88 tryin to keep it there, but over night the temp feel back down to 78. guess Im gonna have to get another heater.. So in 3-4 days I should see a differnce in the ich spots?

Ive got my temp up to 88 tryin to keep it there, but over night the temp feel back down to 78.

8O 8O Was it unplugged? even if it was underrated it shouldn't drop the temp that fast unless it's outside the house..

If you can keep the temp up, then yes, as the spots "fall off" the new born parasites will die from the heat, but make sure you keep the heat up for a bit after the last signs, or it will just start all over.

ok I went out and got some aquaruim salt..

TROPICAL FISH TREATMENT OR WITH A REMEDY

It says to add one tablespoon for every 5 gallons f water.
will this help with the heat as well?
I have a 29 gal. so IM gonna add 6 tablespoons

Yes that sounds right.

From what I understand it will help them breath.

Also, add 2 Tbsp every 6 hours 3 times (6Tbsp total) instead of just one shot.

I recommend dissolving the salt in a separate container and then you can add it. I have never had problems adding salt all at once. If your heater is not reliable and there are temp swings, your fish will become stressed and die. Purchase a new heater if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom