Ick please help!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar4life

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 72 bowfront and all my fish have ick I turn the heat up to 80 degrees and took my carbon out and still have ick am using quick cure does anyone know what am doing wrong i have been doing it for 4 days and its not gone do I need to take my bio wheels out to please help!!!!!!!

Oscar4life said:
I have a 72 bowfront and all my fish have ick I turn the heat up to 80 degrees and took my carbon out and still have ick am using quick cure does anyone know what am doing wrong i have been doing it for 4 days and its not gone do I need to take my bio wheels out to please help!!!!!!!

What kinda fish do u have? U can try salt and heat treatment if Ur stock allows.

It really is better to do a QT when dealing with such a large tank since you have to put so many drops per gallon of Quick Cure. But you should have seen some progress after 2 or 3 days.

Oscar4life said:

Try the rise the temperature up to 84

Ya the temp should be higher...around 85-86...I believe 80 just speeds up the life cycle...I use stress coat...never used the product you are using, and stress coat worked well

depending on the fish involved, 86-88 is a better temp. Ich has been known to live up to 89 degrees in some cases. Increasing the heat will speed up the life cycle, most would say to add some aquarium salt as well, to keep the ich from being able to reattach to another host in the process. This depends highly on your type of fish but most should be fine with a limited amount. They are unable to reproduce in higher temps as well. I would rather do heat and aquarium salt, then using over the counter meds, but thats my personal pref and everyone has a different opinion.

pantherspawn said:
depending on the fish involved, 86-88 is a better temp. Ich has been known to live up to 89 degrees in some cases. Increasing the heat will speed up the life cycle, most would say to add some aquarium salt as well, to keep the ich from being able to reattach to another host in the process. This depends highly on your type of fish but most should be fine with a limited amount. They are unable to reproduce in higher temps as well. I would rather do heat and aquarium salt, then using over the counter meds, but thats my personal pref and everyone has a different opinion.

I agree! I try my best to avoid medications. Aquarium salt and heat is the way to go.

I raised the heat and put QS in it to so we will see I have zebra convicks and salvini jack demp and tiger oscar. If it works how long do I do it for and do I take my bio wheel out

Oscar4life said:
I raised the heat and put QS in it to so we will see I have zebra convicks and salvini jack demp and tiger oscar. If it works how long do I do it for and do I take my bio wheel out

No no need to take out Ur bio wheel! Just remove any carbon u have in Ur filter.

Oscar4life said:

Keep dosing for two weeks, at 86 it should be gone in a matter of days, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.

Oscar4life said:
Thanks will my fish be ok if I take temp up to 86

Raise it slowly, but otherwise they should be fine. Don't forget to add an airstone for aeration because warmer waters mean less oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom