Ideal lighting times for fish and plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Water Wiggler

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a night owl. I was wondering if it's okay to set my timer to be on when I'm home from work and doing night owl activities. I live in a half underground apartment, which does get light, but not much. Unless it's really cloudy, I don't have to use lights during the day to see what I'm doing. The fish tank isn't near the window, anyway, so it's getting a little bit of ambient light during the day.

Currently, I have my timer set to turn on at 4 p.m. and shut off at 12. Is that too much light at too weird of a time? I won't have celestial pearl danios for another two weeks (boo hoo). I'm currently trying to grow frogbit and java moss. Once I get the fish, will they be unhappy because their light isn't on during the true daytime and off during the true nighttime?

I also have a 5 gallon tank with a betta fish in it and some java moss. I may transfer some frogbit to that tank, too. I'll get a timer if I do that. The 5 gallon is closer to the window, but it never gets direct sunlight. I never get direct sunlight. Ha, ha!

Thanks for the advice! I don't know what I would do without you guys! :oops:

6 hours of light is ideal for most planted tanks. And it should be fine using the timer. Mine are on a split schedule.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

6 to 8 hours is typical and up to 10 hours is okay for a low light tank. With plants, if there's algae growth then chances are the light is being ran a bit too long so just experiment with it.

Tank Lighting

Hello Wat...

As near as I can tell, fish aren't particular about lighting. As long as you have a relatively normal time period for light and dusk, the fish will be fine.

I keep my lights on a timer set for 12 hours on and 12 off. My plants seem fine with it.

Experiment and see what works best for your tank.

B

6 hours of light is ideal for most planted tanks. And it should be fine using the timer. Mine are on a split schedule.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I have it set for 8 hours because the frogbit I just got was not happy to begin with. It was the only frogbit available. Currently, I've got an empty tank full of nitrates because I have to wait two weeks for a fish order to come it. I have a feeling that my frogbit will do well only with fish in it. Ammonia just isn't the same. We shall see!

6 to 8 hours is typical and up to 10 hours is okay for a low light tank. With plants, if there's algae growth then chances are the light is being ran a bit too long so just experiment with it.

Good to know! No algae, yet, in either tank. My java moss in my 5 gallon betta tank seems to be doing well in my 5 gallon. It's not growing much, but it's a nice green color. I won't be putting shrimp in with the betta fish. I don't want a massacre on my hands! I just put it in there to give the betta a live plant. He likes playing with the strands. Once the java moss grows more, he can have a real party in there!

Hello Wat...

As near as I can tell, fish aren't particular about lighting. As long as you have a relatively normal time period for light and dusk, the fish will be fine.

I keep my lights on a timer set for 12 hours on and 12 off. My plants seem fine with it.

Experiment and see what works best for your tank.

B

Thanks for allowing me to to be a night owl! Sometimes I'm up until 2 a.m., but my light timer is set from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. I was hoping that the ambient light it gets before I go to bed doesn't bother it much. I want to do right by my fish and the few plants that I have!

Back
Top Bottom