Ideas!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambinojake

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on getting a new tank, i have not chosen the fish so i have not decided how big i want the tank i need some ideas i want to breed the fish i dont want easy stuff like guppies or swordtails and i already have convicts i hope you guys can help!!!

To state the obvious get the biggest tank that you can, I think that's always a good starting point. Rams and angelfish will breed and it does take a little work to raise the fry. There are plenty of fish that have never been bred in captivity if you really want a challenge. I had fun raising bronze cory fry, but I don't know if I'm ready to do it again.

Laser said:
To state the obvious get the biggest tank that you can, I think that's always a good starting point. Rams and angelfish will breed and it does take a little work to raise the fry. There are plenty of fish that have never been bred in captivity if you really want a challenge. I had fun raising bronze cory fry, but I don't know if I'm ready to do it again.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Larger tanks aren't good for breeding unless it obviously a large fish specie. They are great for growing out the fry tho. But meeting breeding conditions of fish are best/easiest to meet in smaller aquariums. Most breeding set ups max out at like 29 gallons. Or at least to my knowledge.

You do point out some great low need fish to try such as Angels (which in that case you are right about tank size).

It really depends on what you wanna breed. Simply saying no to a few species is too broad to help! Sorry :(

Yeah, you're right I didn't think about it that way. Since he didn't even give us an idea of what he wanted to breed I guess it's hard to recommend a size until we figure that out.

In all reality, the OP is gonna need two tanks for breeding. This is because unless it's a Cichlid or Corydoras, chances are the parents are gonna eat the babies.

Usually fish breeding works in this manner:

Set up breeding tank in a species specific manner.
Put female(s) in breeding tank.
Fatten up males and females with live food
Place male in breeding tank
Sometimes extra action needs to occur (example: Corydoras species like a cool water change to trigger spawning)
Remove parents after spawning event
Care for fry (can be intensive)
Once fry are grown to a size in which they can not be considered food, introduce them to larger tank to grow to full size
Rinse
Repeat

Back
Top Bottom