Ideas for a schooling fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 55g I'm wanting another schooling fish to add to the top level; I have a school of 6 serpae tetras and they are really the only ones that swim
up top. I want another schooling fish that are somewhat similar to them. I have a 55g tank with:
1- balloon Molly and albino pleco
4- platy (includes 3 growing fry), bolivian rams and peppered cories
5- bronze cories
6- serpae tetras
I love tiger barbs but I've heard people say their usually better off in a species only tank because of their aggressiveness. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

The black ruby barb is similar to the tiger barb, but I don't think they are as nippy. Might be something to consider.

Rummynose Tetras are spectacular, I'd really look in to those. As mentioned before, black ruby barbs are very similar to TB's but not as aggressive.

Rummynose Tetras are spectacular, I'd really look in to those. As mentioned before, black ruby barbs are very similar to TB's but not as aggressive.

I think I read that they get to be 6 inches? Not so sure I really want something that big, but I will check them out. I would like to keep my rams as my centerpiece fish, so my goal is to keep them as the biggest fish. Are black ruby barbs the only ones that aren't as aggressive as tiger barbs?

I've looked at rummynose's before... I must be the odd ball out but I'm not a huge fan of them.

Has anyone had any experiences with clown barbs? Are they aggressive like the tiger barbs? I came across them while looking at the website LFS orders their fish from and they were the first thing other than a tiger barb that I like a lot.

Clown barbs can get to be 4-6". Since you're pretty much at capacity I wouldn't put any larger fish in there. Maybe cherry barbs? Not sure if they stay up top though. Or pencilfish?

Edit: forgot about spotted blue-eye rainbowfish (pseudomugil gertrudae). They stay mostly up-top. I had a group in my 40 until recently. If you get them, get a lot more females than males (at least 3F:1M) otherwise the males stress the females out too much, then the males turn on each other (which is what happened to me). They are pretty fish though.

Last edited:
There are three schooler that stay in the top levels that come to mind... hatchetfish, marbles are my favorite, Threadfin Rainbowfish, and Harlequin Rasbora's.

I recently got a small school of Australian rainbows(Guy wrote down wrong number so I got them for. 10 each!!!!) I really like them don't swim at the top top but they neat fish! I am very partial to rainbows:)

5 banded barbs look very similar to tiger barbs but are one of the most peaceful barbs.

Back
Top Bottom