Ideas for community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hiya everyone, I think(hope) I'm only a week or two away from cycling my tank and wanted some ideas for a community tank, I want alot of colour in there, at the moment I've got a few fake plants and 2rocks in there I'm currently waiting for my mopani wood to stop releasing tannins them that will be goin in there also, I will eventually get a few live plants 2. Any suggestions welcome cause to be honest i haven't got a clue what I want at the moment. Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Sorry, my tank is a 32 uk gallon or 37 us gallon long tank, there's a pic of it on 1 of my threads i cant upload it to this one.

I would suggest going to your store or stores and see what kinds of fish are available and what catches your eye then read up on them, it is hard for us to suggest fish when we do not know what you can get or what you want. I can say platys and swordtails are quite colorful and fit in most stocking schemes.

rich311k said:
I would suggest going to your store or stores and see what kinds of fish are available and what catches your eye then read up on them, it is hard for us to suggest fish when we do not know what you can get or what you want. I can say platys and swordtails are quite colorful and fit in most stocking schemes.

Yeah I've tries this, problem is every fish catches my eye lol. I was jus hoping some people would put what they have in there community tanks up here so I can get an idea of things. I'm not a fan of platys either always pregnant and the last lot I bought nipped one of my fish to death. :(

For me personally, my goal is to fill all levels of the tank with life and activity, then have one centerpiece fish. I'm a fan of peaceful community tanks.

In my 46 gallon bow I have a mixture of Leopard Danios and Glofish who spend most of their time at the top of the tank, Red Eye and Neon Tetras who normally inhabit the mid-level, and I'm a fan of Corydoras who spend their time playing on the bottom of the tank. I have a Bolivian Ram as my centerpiece, but fish like Dwarf Gouramis are also a good choice for a peaceful centerpiece. I also have Otos who are fantastic algae eaters and are entertaining in themselves. Shrimp or other inverts also add a nice touch as well as being helpful at keeping things tidy. RCS and Amanos are in my DT.

Mine is quite a boisterous tank and like Eco I like to have something at each level. I have some Halfbeaks that live solely at the top, Tiger Barbs and Giant Danios that basically spend all day zipping around chasing each other and visit all levels of the tank but mainly middle/top, Columbian red fin tetras, Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish and a Banded Rainbowfish (waiting for lfs to get him a girlfriend :D) in the middle and corys at the bottom. I'd quite like a centrepeice fish but with all that action (and nippy barbs) I've kinda shelved that idea.......until the next tank mwahahahaha

eco23 said:
For me personally, my goal is to fill all levels of the tank with life and activity, then have one centerpiece fish. I'm a fan of peaceful community tanks.

In my 46 gallon bow I have a mixture of Leopard Danios and Glofish who spend most of their time at the top of the tank, Red Eye and Neon Tetras who normally inhabit the mid-level, and I'm a fan of Corydoras who spend their time playing on the bottom of the tank. I have a Bolivian Ram as my centerpiece, but fish like Dwarf Gouramis are also a good choice for a peaceful centerpiece. I also have Otos who are fantastic algae eaters and are entertaining in themselves. Shrimp or other inverts also add a nice touch as well as being helpful at keeping things tidy. RCS and Amanos are in my DT.

Yeah think I'm gonna go down that route and try get something that occupies each level, I like the dwarf gouramis so I think that is gonna be my centrepiece now to fill in the gaps lol

Ickletas said:
Mine is quite a boisterous tank and like Eco I like to have something at each level. I have some Halfbeaks that live solely at the top, Tiger Barbs and Giant Danios that basically spend all day zipping around chasing each other and visit all levels of the tank but mainly middle/top, Columbian red fin tetras, Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish and a Banded Rainbowfish (waiting for lfs to get him a girlfriend :D) in the middle and corys at the bottom. I'd quite like a centrepeice fish but with all that action (and nippy barbs) I've kinda shelved that idea.......until the next tank mwahahahaha

I think that's my main worry at the moment, the nipping, I had some platys in my old tank and they nipped one of my fish to death :( And that's what I hear from everyone 'until my next tank' lol I must admit tho I've been looking round my house for space for another tank lol

The trouble with fishkeeping is that there are so many fish and so little wall space lol

I recently picked up some Black Phantom Tetras for my middle school (platies for upper tank, corys for lower, powder blue dwarf gourami the closest I have to centerpiece).

Love the black phantoms. Great shape, love the way the males flare at each other (no actual fighting though). Very peaceful, and very hardy.

MartinBlank said:
I recently picked up some Black Phantom Tetras for my middle school (platies for upper tank, corys for lower, powder blue dwarf gourami the closest I have to centerpiece).

Love the black phantoms. Great shape, love the way the males flare at each other (no actual fighting though). Very peaceful, and very hardy.

Gonna have to have a look at these black phantoms they sound pretty cool, don't think I've seen them before.

I think I've got my stocking list, I hope this could work
1 dwarf gourami
5 glo fish
6 corydoras
5 black phantom tetra
5 neon tetra
6 red cherry
Do u think this lot will be ok together??

Back
Top Bottom