Ideas for Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have just upgraded to a 10 gallon tank. Was wondering what options I have for stocking it.. I have cycled it and all seems good to go. I have a molly and a mystery snail in a 5.5 gallon tank ready to be transfered to the bigger tank..... Was just looking for some ideas/help on what to stock it with....or how many so I'm not overstocking.....

Wouldn't mind get a couple more fish (maybe) and maybe a ghost shrimp or 2...

Any opinons would be great.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Velksfish said:
I have just upgraded to a 10 gallon tank. Was wondering what options I have for stocking it.. I have cycled it and all seems good to go. I have a molly and a mystery snail in a 5.5 gallon tank ready to be transfered to the bigger tank..... Was just looking for some ideas/help on what to stock it with....or how many so I'm not overstocking.....

Wouldn't mind get a couple more fish (maybe) and maybe a ghost shrimp or 2...

Any opinons would be great.....

What are you water levels? I would rehome or sell the Molly. They get too big for a 10g and produce loads of waste. I would do: six Pygmy Cories
Six ember tetras
2 male guppies

A molly really is too big for both those tanks. You could have a much more active tank if you rehomed the molly and looked into some nano fish. Fish like Ember tetras, Endlers if you like alot of color, Sparkling gourami, Scarlet badis which you could have Scarlet Badis and Red Cherry Shrimp and have a good little tank. Borderlesscott has such a set up and it is very nice. There are other nano fish to choose from also. Just think wouldn't a tank with alot of activity and some diversity be more interesting than being able to have one large fish?

I have ask for opinons on a few other sites and this is the only one that people are telling me to not keep mollies in a 10 gal. The other sites are saying it is okay to house 2-4 mollies in a 10 gal tank...

Just trying to get my tank stock so the fish are healthy and happy....and just sure who to listen to...

Velksfish said:
I have ask for opinons on a few other sites and this is the only one that people are telling me to not keep mollies in a 10 gal. The other sites are saying it is okay to house 2-4 mollies in a 10 gal tank...

Just trying to get my tank stock so the fish are healthy and happy....and just sure who to listen to...

So the other sites are suggesting a fish which can quite happily reach 4+ inches which produces an outstanding amount of waste to live in a ten gallon tank? I'm not sure what sites these are but that's defiantly not the case. And house 2+ is even worse. No way should mollies ever be kept in a ten. Ask around here these people will give the same answer! LOL! Don't pay attention to the other sites, as that is purely false information.

I'm also new and have a 10g and I thought having 14 fish (as suggested above) was too much. I agree with the OP that there are so many conflicting pieces of information sometimes.

I used to have a Molly in my tank(10 gals). He constantly raced around, and when given to a new home reached I think eight inches. This was a gold lyretail.

I did see that many mollies do outgrow a 10g tank. What about the 14 fish mentioned above in one 10g tank... would that work?

I did see that many mollies do outgrow a 10g tank. What about the 14 fish mentioned above in one 10g tank... would that work?

I don't get what you're trying to say? No it depends what fish honestly but 14 fish sounds too much anyway

What are you water levels? I would rehome or sell the Molly. They get too big for a 10g and produce loads of waste. I would do: six Pygmy Cories
Six ember tetras
2 male guppies

I was mentioning the quoted post where it was suggested to put 14 fish in one 10g tank. I've heard the rule of thumb is 1"/gallon and had people suggest maybe 5-6 fish max in my 10g. Unless the poster meant that you could do either 6 cories, 6 tetras, or 2 guppies and not all of them at once.

I was mentioning the quoted post where it was suggested to put 14 fish in one 10g tank. I've heard the rule of thumb is 1"/gallon and had people suggest maybe 5-6 fish max in my 10g. Unless the poster meant that you could do either 6 cories, 6 tetras, or 2 guppies and not all of them at once.

Uh they all have really little bioloads, a small activity level and only grow at max and inch. One inch per gallon is useless. Anyone who follows that mist have some unhealthy fish. Only problem is you may minus e guppies but that would be pushing the stocking level, but it wouldn't be overstocked.

Wow, that opens up a lot more possibilities for my own tank then. Thanks!

Just remember that it has to be certain fish.. You couldnt go putting in 10 oscars, 2 gars and 2 knife fish ! ;) lol

I guess the question to be answered before we can suggest stocking is if you can either rehome the molly or upgrade to a bigger tank than a 10 gal? If not we'll have to try to work with what you have. Mollys are really too large, active and messy to be in a 10 gal though.

Back
Top Bottom