ideas?!? stocking my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kim_luvs_fish.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, so i am getting a 29 gallon sometime soon and have been thinking allot about how to stock it. i came up with some ideas, but i would like you to tell me which you like best out of them. here they are:

ONE: 1 Dwarf Gourami,
3 Sunset Platys,
4 Bronze Corydoras,
5 Hatchet Fish,
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras,
1 African Butterfly Fish.

TWO: 1 Dwarf Gourami,
3 Sunburst Platys,
4 Bronze Corydoras,
5 Tiger Barbs,
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras,
5 Ember Tetras.

tell me which you like best!

both options sound like you would be overstocking your aquarium in my opinion. I definitely think platys and gouramis are always a good choice though.

ok, well if it is overstocked, give me some other ideas! oh yeah, the reason i considered this stocking plan was because of www.aqadvisor.com which said this would be ok, check the site out and tell me what you think.

Aqadvisor is really more of a guideline. They don't take into consideration the bio-load of the fish, filtration, etc.

Last edited:
actually the site askes you to type in your type of filtration and since i will have the aquaclear 55 they say it would be fine. so in some ways they do take in consideration the bio-load of each fish.

AQ is a pretty good starting point. Those fish are all relatively small, so I don't think you're really overstocked at all. Having said that, I'd pick a mix. I'd say ember tetras but no tiger barbs. But that's just me. =]

hi, so i am getting a 29 gallon sometime soon and have been thinking allot about how to stock it. i came up with some ideas, but i would like you to tell me which you like best out of them. here they are:

ONE: 1 Dwarf Gourami,
3 Sunset Platys,
4 Bronze Corydoras,
5 Hatchet Fish,
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras,
1 African Butterfly Fish.

TWO: 1 Dwarf Gourami,
3 Sunburst Platys,
4 Bronze Corydoras,
5 Tiger Barbs,
5 Bleeding Heart Tetras,
5 Ember Tetras.