Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vking073

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I just started an aquarium and I was wondering what kind of fish this is? He's very active! He's swims to the top of the tank and jumps out of the water then swims back down and back to the top and over and over. It's pretty funny and entertaining but I am wondering if this is a normal behavior. Please help me! Thanks!

How can you tell it's a female Fishperson? Looks like you'd need a picture from above to see the shape of the pectoral fins.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/barbatula-barbatula
Also OP it might be a good idea to do some research on this fish. They get to be pretty large, need pretty cold water, and a high flow with very oxygenated water. You will not be able to keep any tropical fish with this loach due to their low temp requirements. This site says the max temperature is 64... So unless your house is very cold you might even need an aquarium cooler!
For future reference, it's always a good idea to know what fish you are buying, and to research that fish before you buy it :) good luck!

It's hard to get a good pic bc it moves around so fast all the time. They didn't have a sticker of what he was at the pet store I asked the lady and she just said he was in there to clean the other fish. I thought it would say it on the receipt but it was nothing that I could make out. My tank is cold water about 72 no heater I have him in with a couple goldfish (which that's what he was in with at the pet store). I also have 4 ponds at my parents house and once they get bigger I plan on putting them in one of the ponds. We have done this before with kios, goldfish and turtles. Here's a couple more pic I enlarged one of the previous ones I posted so you guys could get a better look. The circle right after his eye is kinda blueish tint. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391291702.730499.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391291715.895264.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391291734.718122.jpg

He also has a second set of whiskers by his mouth. And his fins kinda have a pinkish tint to them.

His marking don't really match up with the stone loach. That might not be what it is.

Garra flavatra ? Green garra ? Genus garra ? I know it's some type of garra.

Garra flavatra ? Green garra ? Genus garra ? I know it's some type of garra.

I just looked up garras and I think he looks like a Garra rufa I guess they are also called doctor fish. There's a lot of pic of them eating dead skin off of people feet and hands lol. Here a pic I found online of one. What do you guys think?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391298005.578309.jpg

That would also make sense why the lady said that he was in there to clean the other fish.

That would also make sense why the lady said that he was in there to clean the other fish.

Please do not keep a fish that 'cleans' other fish with fancy goldfish. Freshwater fish do not require 'cleaning'. Why someone would suggest such a thing is beyond any logical reason. You will be subjecting your fancies to slime coat damage and the resultant bacterial and fungal infections that accompany slime coat damage.

Back
Top Bottom