Identify this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sbender

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, we just started a second ten gallon acquarium for my daughter mostly because the plecco in my sons tank was getting too big and aggressive. We got a gourami and in the madness of chasing two toddlers around the fish store ended up with this guy, not the one I picked out. He’s cool, we like him, but I’d like to know what it is. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Secondly, so right now we just have the three fish in ten gallons. Our original tank is feeling very crowded (tetras, catfish, and one frog) so I was thinking about moving my son’s (now large) gourami over to this new tank. The guy at the store was firm about these two fish only with the plecco. Do you think it’s okay to move the gourami too? Thanks!

Attachments

• 74EC06FD-4EDD-4816-9B0A-AD055391D0C0.jpg
    74EC06FD-4EDD-4816-9B0A-AD055391D0C0.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 42
The dude in the back is a male dwarf gourami. The other guy is a tiger barb. Tiger barbs are schoolers, and can get pretty **** mean and nippy.

Barb's shouldn't be kept by themselves. Move all fish out of the tank and put a school of Barb's in thier IMO.

If I remove the tiger barb can I put the two dwarf gouramis together? Would those two and the plecco (I know the plecco isn’t ideal but he’s still rather small and he’s my sons “shark”and he’s very attached to him) be the max for 10 gal? Could I add anything else? I really like the gouramis. I think they’re peaceful to watch.

Two dwarfs is pushing it in a 10g. You could try it and watch their behavior closely. As far as adding more to the tank.....two Gourami's and a pleco is gonna be close to maxing out your tanks bioload which leads to poor water quality then diseased fish.

Thanks. Sounds good. We’ll stick with just the ones we have then.

I wouldn't put any of those fish in a 10, honestly. Depending on the pleco, it could get MASSIVE. Dwarf gouramis need more space then a 10 as well, IMO. Very active. Two males will kill each other

As Matt said a 10g isn't ideal and depends on the fish size. If a 10g is all you can manage to afford and the fish are in then you will just have to monitor them closely. Check for aggression and be prepared to move them if necessary. A lot of this depends on the temperament of the particular fish you have. Plan on doing 50% water changes every week as a minimum. Test your water around day 4 or 5 and see what your readings are. This will give you a gauge on how often to change your water and how much.

Back
Top Bottom