Ill be gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I have has my 10gal tank for a week now. I did my first water change yesterday and my API FW matter test kit is supposed to come in tomorrow so I can start testing my parameters... Unfortunately, I'm leaving town in about an hour. None of my family will be home for the weekend! My dad will be at the house until saturday morning but he has no idea how to care for fish. I told him how much to feed my fish for tomorrow and Saturday morning before he leaves.we are all coming back Sunday afternoon. I know fish can survive a day without food but what about the light?? Especially since I'm in the beginning of a cycle?? 8-12 hours are suggested is what I've read. But no one will be here to turn the light on or off, I don't have a timer either?? Should I just leave them off?? And should I do a water change before I leave??

Ok, I have has my 10gal tank for a week now. I did my first water change yesterday and my API FW matter test kit is supposed to come in tomorrow so I can start testing my parameters... Unfortunately, I'm leaving town in about an hour. None of my family will be home for the weekend! My dad will be at the house until saturday morning but he has no idea how to care for fish. I told him how much to feed my fish for tomorrow and Saturday morning before he leaves.we are all coming back Sunday afternoon. I know fish can survive a day without food but what about the light?? Especially since I'm in the beginning of a cycle?? 8-12 hours are suggested is what I've read. But no one will be here to turn the light on or off, I don't have a timer either?? Should I just leave them off?? And should I do a water change before I leave??

This happened to me during my cycle, I had to go away for 2 days. What I did was do a massive water change & double dosed my prime. All was well when I returned. My ammonia only reached .25 which is tolerable for a short period of time :) good luck!

Oh and yes I would leave the light off, so the fish can sleep & you won't have algea growing with the extended photoperiod :)

Oh and yes I would leave the light off, so the fish can sleep & you won't have algea growing with the extended photoperiod :)

Oh ok, so like a 50% water Change? And when I change the water where so I put my decorations? Will the BB (if any at all) be like "alive" or does taking them out kill it all off. I took them out of the tank for my first water change but I wasn't sure.

Oh ok, so like a 50% water Change? And when I change the water where so I put my decorations? Will the BB (if any at all) be like "alive" or does taking them out kill it all off. I took them out of the tank for my first water change but I wasn't sure.

No need to take them out, just replace about 50% of the water. Being that your cycling it best to.not feed IMO. Feeding is going to cause ammonia and with you not around to test and do a water change. Its only.for the best

No need to take them out, just replace about 50% of the water. Being that your cycling it best to.not feed IMO. Feeding is going to cause ammonia and with you not around to test and do a water change. Its only.for the best

Oh I see! Well cool thanks! I suppose I only need to take them out when vacuuming my gravel??

Oh I see! Well cool thanks! I suppose I only need to take them out when vacuuming my gravel??

You don't need to every time you clean. Especially now while your doing a cycle. Bacteria well grow in the gravel and if you keep cleaning it then it will take longer to cycle imo

Back
Top Bottom