Im deffentley a noob with lots or questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have recently purchased a used 60 gallon aquarium with a magnum 350 filter. I have had it running now for 3 weeks I've added gravel ( small rocks ) I've added a heater and thermometer and have put 6 fake plants in it do far. We are expecting our 2 nd child on the second so I have not yet started the nitrogen cycle yet. I am planning on doing a cycle w/ fish. I am going to start with danios. I think I can start w 6 if my research is correct.
In two weeks I plan on buying some danios, nls fish food, test kit , vacuum for water changes and cleaning, and maybe some more decorations

Questions
Should I get another heater? I currently located my heater on the right side of the tank. Should I have another one on the left side ?

How many danios should I start with ? I think 6?

Can I add some live plants ? I'm not going to be one of those crazy planted fish tank owners. That looks like a lot of work. I just thought adding a few would be a nice addition to the tank.

Any feed back will be appreciated. And of course more questions

Thanks

First off congrats on the new addition to the family.(y)
A second heater is not really neccessary but it is not a bad thing to have, that way if one goes out you'll have a back up already in place. As for your test kit do yourself, and your fish, a favor and use the Master Freshwater Kit from API. It is far more acurate then the test strips. IMO starting off with the 6 danios should work fine, if I'm wrong someone will let us both know:rolleyes:. Just be sure to test your water everyday and stay vigilant on your water changes.

What does the API test kit cost roughly ?

I was thinking of adding another filter too. Maybe the penguin 350 bio wheel ? Is that over kill? I figured the water agitation was beneficial for oxygen and also a bubble stone.
What do you think?

I think I will get another heater. Will adding the second heater after the cycle is over be a problem?

I think the API kits cost around 30-40$. You can sometimes find them on MarineDepot.com for cheaper though. Hmmm another filter could be overkill, and youreally don't need to put a lot of oxygen in the water. My fish lived long and happy lives and I didn't add another filter or put extra air stones in the tank. A second heater would be a good idea, if one goes out, then you have another to take it's place. Good Luck!

Great thank you for the advise

Can I add live plants and decorations during and after the cycle? Or should I do all that before adding the danios and starting the cycle ?

Congratulations on your new child!!!!!!
You can definitely add all the decorations you're going to be using before the cycle starts. Go ahead and add all the plants, rockwork (if applicable), and decorations you wish to have in the tank. These will actually make suitable foundations for the beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrate, so all works great! Danios are a decent, hardy fish (assuming you're referring to zebra danios) to cycle with, but do try to cycle with fish that you intend to keep in the long run, as it's kinda depressing to watch over a fish for several weeks while the tank cycles and then needing to get rid of them for other fish. I would personally suggest cycling with a few Molly fish, as they are also incredibly hardy and have a relatively large bioload for fish their size, furthering the nitrogen cycle. To each his own, however and I won't tell you what to use.
Two fiters aren't going to be overkill at all IMO, and in fact, is super helpful if you accidentally overstock. I like to keep filters that are 2-3 times the size of the tank they are filtering--eg. using a filter rated for 60g on a 30g tank. Of course if you decide to keep fish from slower moving waters you'll want to keep the filters to a minimum. Airstones are optional, but I prefer maximum surface irritation for o2 exchange (except with my Betta, that is :D)
Good luck to you, keep us updated!(y)

I am just so anxious to get fish in the tank. I guess I'll get all the decorations first like you stated as it will help with the cycle and will be better to look at viruses the 5 or so fake plants I have in it now. Lol

What are some good low maintenance live plants I can add?

Low maintenance..hrmm, I would say java fern off the top of my head. Grows easily, and doesn't taste too good so fish usually won't kill it

derail said:
Low maintenance..hrmm, I would say java fern off the top of my head. Grows easily, and doesn't taste too good so fish usually won't kill it

Thanks for the advise

other low maintenance plant would be anubias nana.
you can also get java moss or christmas moss those look really good when they are on driftwood. :)

As long as your heater is rated for your size tank it should be fine. Placing it in the center or near the filter out-take might make for more even distribution of heat. To be sure, you should get an in-take thermometer (not the strip) and place it at the opposite side of the heater so you can check the water temp.

You didn't mention dechlorinator; I'd get Prime, it's more concentrated and will last longer and it will help detoxify ammonia, etc.

You can add plants if you want to sure, but your lighting will largely dictate whether or not they'll do well.

If you haven't seen it, click on the link in my signature: guide to starting a fw aquarium. It might help. Good luck.

Congrats on the new tank! You already got a lot of good advice so Im just going to say have fun!

librarygirl said:
As long as your heater is rated for your size tank it should be fine. Placing it in the center or near the filter out-take might make for more even distribution of heat. To be sure, you should get an in-take thermometer (not the strip) and place it at the opposite side of the heater so you can check the water temp.

You didn't mention dechlorinator; I'd get Prime, it's more concentrated and will last longer and it will help detoxify ammonia, etc.

You can add plants if you want to sure, but your lighting will largely dictate whether or not they'll do well.

If you haven't seen it, click on the link in my signature: guide to starting a fw aquarium. It might help. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the advise

Back
Top Bottom