I'm lost..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkkInNj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I've had a tank setup at college since the first week of september.. And my fish died after putting them in about two weeks later after letting the tank cycle and such. Well, I then replaced the fish and they did well this time, Tiger Barbs and Rainbow Shark. After the hurricane and losing power for multiple days, you do the math :( I had to leave my apartment due to the storm and campus being closed down. I then reset up the tank, and havent touched it till yesterday. I just put in a new set of fish, this time Tiger Barbs, and a Ram Cichlid. I'm not sure, but I think one or two of my barbs are having swim bladder signs.. They're floating nose down. Idk what to do? I have a 30 gallon tank and just did a pwc change tonight. about 15-20%. I'm lost, and I don't want these to die either.. I just want a tank to work out :( I know some kids have trouble on campus because of our water.. It's pretty hard, but I thought letting it sit for awhile might help. Also, one of the fish did die while I was at work. But idk if it was showing signs of anything.. Ugh..

Yes your in the wrong section but... I do have a question. Do you treat your water? With say Prime or Amquel Plus?

Just letting it sit out wont take care of the issues. Hopefully you'll get your post moved to the correct section.

OK, your tank isn't cycled.

But we can get you on the right track. First, read this.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Then, we need to know lvl's PH, Ammonia etc.
Your going to need to start doing a lot of water changes. also, What dechlorinator are you using

I wouldn't put any more fish in until its cycled. There is also a link in my Sig about Cycling with fish.

Last edited:
sorry Guys.. was reading about saltwater before I posted.. lol It was 3:30 in the mornig :) hahha i don't even know why I was up!

Phisfriend.. Thanks! I wasn't sure if it was since it sat around for awhile.. I watched my nitrate and nitrite levels drop and spike and then go away.. Wasn't sure if that meant it was over lol I will get levels when I get back! Thanks

Just wanted to give an update.. My ammonia was through the roof... I feel horrible for the fish! :( I did a 50% water change and have been reading through some threads on here. Hopefully this helps. I'm prepared for the long but worth it road ahead! I am going to so a water change tonight if my levels are still through the roof tonight.. I'm not sure whats causing it though.. I mean I know what causes it, but its pretty high with only 4 fish and I don't overfeed them at all..

It isn't the number of fish but they're size, bioload, etc that need to be taken into account too. A 30 is a bit tight for Tiger Barbs; they are very aggressive toward each other and need a large group, but I wouldn't add any more right now. Rams are very sensitive so do your best but don't be surprised if you lose it. How high is "Through the roof?" What test kit are you using?

i know they're really sensitive.. and to be honest, I am surprised he's still going good.. he's acting completely fine as well. I've been looking for signs, he doesn't even show stress. I chjecked it when I got home from work, it was at 4ppm. I'm doing a water change in the morning once i'm up.

i know they're really sensitive.. and to be honest, I am surprised he's still going good.. he's acting completely fine as well. I've been looking for signs, he doesn't even show stress. I chjecked it when I got home from work, it was at 4ppm. I'm doing a water change in the morning once i'm up.

Glad everyone seems OK for now. With ammo at 4 I would do at least 2 50% in the same day & then if need be 2 more the next day until the ammonia is .25 or less.

Glad everyone seems OK for now. With ammo at 4 I would do at least 2 50% in the same day & then if need be 2 more the next day until the ammonia is .25 or less.

That is what I am doing! I did one when I woke up, and will be doing on in a couple hours. I've tested the water multiple times throughout today. The level is at a twoish right now. So I will have it down hopefully by tomorrow night. I did notice one of my barbs doing a nose stand.. I think this is from the nitrites..

I have tiger barbs in my 29 gallon tank and when they are just chilling out they kinda sit there nose down. I think it's normal it's how the rest. When I turn the lights on in the morning that's how the sleep.

I have tiger barbs in my 29 gallon tank and when they are just chilling out they kinda sit there nose down. I think it's normal it's how the rest. When I turn the lights on in the morning that's how the sleep.

That makes sense actually.. Because one does it just when he's hanging out.. But sometimes, he goes way far. Almost completely vertical.. Does yours ever do that?

Back
Top Bottom