im sure this is a dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbouchard

Aquarium Advice Regular
but I leave no question in asked.

If im using prime with my daily water changes and it neutrilizes the ammonia...how does the effect my cycle?

its a fish in cycle...

im consistently seeing ammonia of course usually 0.25 any higher and i do pwc otherwise im doing them every morning anyhow..im not seeing any nitrite, but seeing trace nitrate....I did manage to snag some unwashed decorations from a pal of mine, I also bought 2 bunches of hornroot for the tank and a peice of java fern.

would that stuff make the trace nitrates?

I assumed I would see nitrites first....oh and my tap water is not showing nitrates, so its not from the water changes...

im only on week 2 of my cycle

Dee

The prime turns it to ammonium, therefore the bb can still eat that. As far as the nitrates I don't know. It just takes time for the trites to start showing.

Hi, nope no dumb questions :)

Are you using the API kit? I found it very difficult to discern between 0 and .25 ammonia on that test when I first started. You could try testing some distilled or spring water for ammonia and compare it to the tube from teh tank and see if they match; if they do, your tank has 0 ammonia.

Week two isn't very long; nitrites typically show up around week 3 on average but every tank is different. It's possible you won't see nitrite if you use enough seeded material; I dont know if plants and decor would be enough but maybe. Just keep doing what you're doing and we'll see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Prime won't prevent the bacteria from being able to consume the ammonia.

Good luck!

I do at times find the colours hard to tell with the api kit,

I definatly see ammonia...im going to chalk the nitrates up to me mis reading it, ive done a water change and its reading none ..no nitrites yet

good thing im a patient lady...

the zebra danios in the tank seem happy, I put a bubble wall in and they keep dashing in and out of that, quite fun to watch.

I keep second guessing myself that im doing the right thing, I chalk it up to my obsessive personality

Back
Top Bottom