I'm thinking I should just start over...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, my fish still have ick, and I keep giving them meds, but the meds are probably killing the biological filter as well as making the water dirtier because I had to take the carbon out for the meds to work. At this point I've lost most of them already, and I'm pretty sure the 5 I have left are going to die. A few of them are swimming with their mouths open, and one has what looks like a bubble on it's eye, and another one has cloudy eyes. I'm doing 25% water changes every few days, and no, I don't know what the ammonia and nitrite levels are because I keep changing the water so I don't see how the levels can get too high. Plus if I see that the ammonia or nitrite levels are too high then I'd just be changing the water anyway. I'm thinking I'm just going to start over after they all die, I've tried doing everything to save them, but the ick isn't going away, and I don't know what's wrong with their eyes. Once they have all died, will I have to change all the water because the ick is still in there? Or will the ick die because there are no fish. Also, will I have to recycle the tank if I do a 100% water change? I guess it won't be so bad if I have to, considering I won't have anymore fish anyway, I plan to do a fishless cycle to spare the lives of anymore fish. One of the questions I have is what is the point of having a filter if I have to keep doing water changes? If the filter was properly doing it's job, wouldn't it be filtering out the nitrates?

This is what your filter does: What Does My Filter Do? - The First Tank Guide - Filtering Your Aquarium Water

Couple this with what the results from cycling your tank (bacteria buildup) and you get the whole biological filtration process. Nitrates can only be removed (well most easlily) through water changes and the use of plants.

If you end up starting over.. Tear the whole thing down. Clean it with bleach. Rinse Rinse Rinse Rinse Rinse and start over. Filter included with new filter media.

If you bleach use 10% bleach and as CaptainAhab said rinse very well. When you start setting up always add some extra water conditioner after bleaching. You will have to recycle your tank.

It sounds like your fish may have pop eye as well. It is usually considered a symptom of an infection.

I buy mostly used tanks so I bleach them before starting,let the air dry several days before setting them up and use at least 2 times the recommended conditioner.

Cap full of Prime in your final rinse will do you good. Then let air dry for a few day just for added measure.

Back
Top Bottom