Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2015, 11:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

In Need of New Tank Help/Questions

Hi all,

I recently setup an Aqueon 29 gallon tank using the starter kit. I'm interested in having live plants so I decided to use Seachem Fluorite substrate. I poured the substrate but my tank looks like it belongs to the swamp thing, all muddy, I cant even see the filter from the other side lol. The bag said rinsing not required but I probably should have... I think I may have screwed up because I added a few drops of ammonia to get my fishless cycle started, which I probably shouldn't have.. Is anyone familiar with this kind of substrate or done this kind of cycle before? I'm wondering if I need to do a water change to clear up the water or remove some of the ammonia.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The flourite is gross. I would personally drain the water, pull out the substrate into a pillowcase or bucket and hose the crap out of it until the water runs clear. Replace the substrate and get things going again.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The flourite is gross. I would personally drain the water, pull out the substrate into a pillowcase or bucket and hose the crap out of it until the water runs clear. Replace the substrate and get things going again.
+1 . I have the flourite in my 55gal. Wash it for a while and even when your done, be ready to let your water settle for a day or two. There was a layer of white dust on top of mine that had to be siphoned off. Be patient, is a bit annoying at first but it looks great in the end. On a side note, what kind of lighting came with the kit?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
new tank, question, questions, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com