In Need of New Tank Help/Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

volter2947

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I recently setup an Aqueon 29 gallon tank using the starter kit. I'm interested in having live plants so I decided to use Seachem Fluorite substrate. I poured the substrate but my tank looks like it belongs to the swamp thing, all muddy, I cant even see the filter from the other side lol. The bag said rinsing not required but I probably should have... I think I may have screwed up because I added a few drops of ammonia to get my fishless cycle started, which I probably shouldn't have.. Is anyone familiar with this kind of substrate or done this kind of cycle before? I'm wondering if I need to do a water change to clear up the water or remove some of the ammonia.

The flourite is gross. I would personally drain the water, pull out the substrate into a pillowcase or bucket and hose the crap out of it until the water runs clear. Replace the substrate and get things going again.

The flourite is gross. I would personally drain the water, pull out the substrate into a pillowcase or bucket and hose the crap out of it until the water runs clear. Replace the substrate and get things going again.

+1 . I have the flourite in my 55gal. Wash it for a while and even when your done, be ready to let your water settle for a day or two. There was a layer of white dust on top of mine that had to be siphoned off. Be patient, is a bit annoying at first but it looks great in the end. On a side note, what kind of lighting came with the kit?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom