In the beginning...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlyDifference

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

I have a new 20 gallon aquarium, 2 Quiet Flow 10 filters, heater, thermometer, gravel, and some driftwood. All I'm missing is: FISH!!!

What I'd like to keep in this tank is as follows:
-3 platys
-a school (6) of cherry barbs
-nerite snail
-2 amano shrimp

I would really appreciate any questions, comments or concerns to help me make this aquarium as successful and safe as possible. Thank you!

Hey everyone!

I have a new 20 gallon aquarium, 2 Quiet Flow 10 filters, heater, thermometer, gravel, and some driftwood. All I'm missing is: FISH!!!

-3 platys

-nerite snail

-2 amano shrimp

I would really appreciate any questions, comments or concerns to help me make this aquarium as successful and safe as possible. Thank you!

Is it cycled? Don't add fish until it's fully cycled (test the water parameters which cycling) unless it's a fish that helps cycle which I've heard of but haven't used. That's a lot of the time a dead fish so I don't know :-I. Also, I'm sure you can add more fish to your tank later on, the list seems okay for the time being though. Keep us updated on any changes in parameters and post pics!:D good luck

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Is it cycled? Don't add fish until it's fully cycled (test the water parameters which cycling) unless it's a fish that helps cycle which I've heard of but haven't used. That's a lot of the time a dead fish so I don't know :-I. Also, I'm sure you can add more fish to your tank later on, the list seems okay for the time being though. Keep us updated on any changes in parameters and post pics!:D good luck

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

You bet it's cycled! And let me tell you, waiting around for 6 weeks with an empty fish tank was TORTURE. So many people wondered why it was empty and assumed I had killed the fish. I'm wondering about plants. I don't want to go overboard with them and have a jungle, but I'd like to add a little tranquility to the tank, it's a little empty right now. I have gravel for a substrate and my lighting is what comes with the 20 Gallon starter box from Petco... Not very specific, but I doubt the company is going to give me a deluxe hood/lighting right off the bat. Any plant suggestions?

Your Tank

Hey everyone!

-3 platys
-nerite snail
-2 amano shrimp

Hello Sly...

Pretty small tank. 20 gallons is the minimum for barbs and you don't have enough Platys. The female to male number is 4 or 5 to 1, unless you plan to keep males only. Livebearing fish will overpopulate a small tank in a few months.

The tank for these fish should be well planted. Anubias and Java fern on the bottom and Hornwort or Anacharis floating. These are simple and hardy plants.

B

You bet it's cycled! And let me tell you, waiting around for 6 weeks with an empty fish tank was TORTURE. So many people wondered why it was empty and assumed I had killed the fish. I'm wondering about plants. I don't want to go overboard with them and have a jungle, but I'd like to add a little tranquility to the tank, it's a little empty right now. I have gravel for a substrate and my lighting is what comes with the 20 Gallon starter box from Petco... Not very specific, but I doubt the company is going to give me a deluxe hood/lighting right off the bat. Any plant suggestions?

Haha, same thing happened for me for about two months lol. People would come to my house and be like "Next time give them healthy water" or something because when it was cycling my water changed colours.:p

I got this great plant list from Istrom, who is an AWESOME fish keeper, and I'll send it to you. I have a 23 gallon, not too different from yours I assume.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Here's the plant list. She made it to suit me (proud faceXD) and for a tank that wants to hold fry. It's a good substitute for putting them in a breeder box, just letting the fry grow up in the tank and survive. This way he weakest will probably die and the strongest will grow up to be healthy fish:)
Here ya go, change it to your needs and how much you want to spend:

PLANTS
2-3 banana plants(for fry to hide in)
1 Moss ball (make sure it's free of pond snails or you'll have to kill them off with an assassin (just ask Istrom)
1 bundle of anacharis(pretty)
1-2 bundles of bitter cress
1 chain sword(kinda expensive but cool)

Good luck!

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Hello Sly...

Pretty small tank. 20 gallons is the minimum for barbs and you don't have enough Platys. The female to male number is 4 or 5 to 1, unless you plan to keep males only. Livebearing fish will overpopulate a small tank in a few months.

The tank for these fish should be well planted. Anubias and Java fern on the bottom and Hornwort or Anacharis floating. These are simple and hardy plants.

B
Sorry about the tank size... It was all that could fit my budget.

I plan on following through with the list guppy provided in terms of plants. I was reading up on platys recently and most of the articles I read gave me different numbers than you did. 2:1 was a common ratio. I'll provide links as well, but I'm glad you warned me! I'll read up some more before getting any.

Links:
Platy, Platies | Xiphophorus maculatus
Platy - Livebearers - Tropical Fish Forums
Platies - Moonfish, Variegated Platy, Variatus Platy
Platy Fish

Hello Sly...

B

I plan on following through with the list guppy provided in terms of plants. I was reading up on platys recently and most of the articles I read gave me different numbers than you did. 2:1 was a common ratio. I'll provide links as well, but I'm glad you warned me! I'll read up some more before getting any.

I believe that it is 2 or 3 F to 1 M:) You can add java moss too but I'm not sure if it's too much for a twenty. I hope the list I gave you helps but just so you know, I got it from @Istrom so all credit goes to her:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom