Indian Dwarf Puffer and Cichlid community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

az2nz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! First post, I am setting [/B]up my second tank (36 FW gallon). I have read/watched/read more/researched/etc. I would definitely like to have two dwarf puffers in my new tank. I was thinking of adding cichlids. I have seen community tanks and read about ones. It seems the rule of thumb is: 1)tank mates need to be faster than and bigger than the puffers. 2)water and climate parameters need to be the same. 3) feeding is specific. 4) because overstocking seems to lower aggression, water maintenance is a pain.

My questions are:
1) introduce all fish at once? If not, puffers first or last?
2) African or New World cichlids
3) two puffers/how many cichlids

and any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I know a lot depends on fish personality, tank set up (I will not be using real plants), lots of hidey holes, etc. Am still a week away from adding inhabitants, so please feel free to add info at any time.:thanks:

Last edited:
What everyone is trying to say is they shouldn't be mixed. Dwarf puffers tend to be species only or with other very small fish. Definitely no cichlids

Um yeah, 1" max I get it...
You know? Than why would putting an aggressive fish that can reach 4-5" in a tank with Skittles be a responsible move. Assuming said fish eats Skittles.. Which it most certainly will if given the chance.

I'm also in the process of doing a fishless cycle for a dwarf puffer tank. I plan on having around 3 of them in a 28 gallon planted tank, but it will definitely be a species only tank. I've had them in the past and always heeded the advice of keeping them in a species only tank. Looking forward to getting them - they are just adorable fish!

Back
Top Bottom