Indoor cory cat pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarjo Pepper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wasn't sure if I should put this in the pond section since you don't really think of ponds and cory cats together. Also bear in mind that this is a project way in the future when I'm out of college, with job and have a house.
I really love bottom dwellers, especially cory cats and plecos. I really love watching videos that have huge swarms of them sifting through sand. So I wanted to buy or build something, tank or pond, that would house just them. Your typical aquarium is usually built with the purpose of keeping large volumes of water in the least amount of space, but since the cats are bottom dwellers they would need more surface area. So far I have yet to find an aquarium built like this, because who in their right minds would buy a flat aquarium?
So I thought a pond would be better. Something at least 1.5 ft deep, since I don't think they really need a lot of height? The area of it would ultimately determine how many corys, and at least one pleco. The smallest area would probably be 4x4 ft, which would be 24 cubic ft, or 180 gallons.
I can probably go else where to find out how to actually buy/build this thing. What I would like to here from the community is if anyone has done something like this before? If it sounds like a good idea? If the cats actually do need more height? Any advice on corys and plecos really.
:thanks:

Done this with cory cats specifically in mind? i dont believe so. But this style of tank is mildly popular with the saltwater crowd. Just look for images of lagoon tanks.

FWIW, my bronze corys use the whole 24" of my tank height. It is fabulous to watch them chasing around the tank like a flock of birds. I've also been told this is a peculiarity of the bronze corys, but can neither confirm nor deny that allegation.

It's a bit hard to watch most fish from above. You kind of have to just stand there, instead of lounging on the couch :)

Is this something your looking https://youtu.be/IWLFEJ1kFfQ or you could do a all plywood like in this video https://youtu.be/6FDUfglurns

These videos were inspiring, especially the plywood one. I think I could adapt plans from that.

Done this with cory cats specifically in mind? i dont believe so. But this style of tank is mildly popular with the saltwater crowd. Just look for images of lagoon tanks.

The flatter and wider lagoon tanks look amazing. It doesn't seem like they're readily available though. It seems like the one I would want would probably need to be costume made.

Really helpful guys! Any more advice appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom