Infomation Overload-Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Msdesinyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone,

I just got a 20gal Aqueon LED aquarium kit, that I'm ready to set up. I've spent weeks reading about tank set-ups and cycling, and I'm even more confused. In addition to the tank, filter, heater, etc. I have quick start, stress coat and water conditioner. I just read The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling, but didnt know/understand about the pure ammonia (all I've been able to find is clear). Do I not use any of this bottled stuff I have except for the water conditoner? Do I have to use pure ammonia, all I can find at the moment is clear is that the same thing?

Please help!!!

Hi there there are products on the market that can start the cycling process, but there are other ways of doing it you could just add a couple of Harding fish something like platters to get it going or even cooked prawns just two Will do and we'll all do the same job, and then start to test on the regular basis I assume you know the order on how to cycle works if not it starts with ammonia then goes to nitrite and then into its final stage nitrate ,these are the three test kits will need to do this, as for the water conditioner yes you use this when filling up your tank and when adding freshwater to your tank ,
hope this clears things up for you.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

At the moment, the only thing to add is the water conditioner which takes care of chlorine and chloramine in the tap water.

I'd recommend not using safe start. These products claim to contain the bacteria needed for cycling your aquarium, but often contain the types of bacteria you do not want. If you can return the product, is suggest you do that.

Ammonia is needed to feed the bacteria that eventually grow and keep your tank ammonia free. Ammonia is produced by rotting food, fish waste etc. if you can find pure ammonia at the dollar store or Walmart, great. Make sure it does not have any scent, surfactants or other additives. Otherwise get Dr Tims aquatics ammonium chloride for cycling. You can find it on Amazon for less than $2. Do not use fish as the store may suggest for cycling your tank. It is cruel and they often die or are permanently damaged. Once to add ammonia, bacteria should start to grow and feed on it. You can speed up the process by adding media from an established tank. The guide explains it all.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get pure ammonia at Ace Hardware . Just make sure there are no soaps or perfumes etc...just pure ammonia .

Ok I think I've got it. I just have to get the testing kit. So clear ammonia is the same as pure?

You have to look at the ingredient list on the bottle and shake it good . If no bubbles that stay then probably ok .

no bubbles, no scents, no phosphorus. active ingredient: ammonium hydroxide. Do I have to wait until I have the testing kit before using it, or can I wait a few more days before using the ammonia (I set the tank up this morning, all I've added is the water conditioner)? unfortunately we are in the middle of a "heat warning" so I'm staying put indoors today lol

Here is a calculator to get you started , but you will need the test kit to monitor nitrite and nitrate . This is good enough to get started now ....

Calculator

You are welcome and good luck . Just remember it takes a few weeks to get the cycle going so be patient and just use this thread for any further questions .:)

Back
Top Bottom