Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Inherited Tiny Tank Help!

Hi everyone, it's my first time posting and I'm looking for some advice.

Backstory, my husband and I had just began doing research on aquariums, originally we thought about getting a ten gallon, but upon doing research it seemed like a 20 gallon was the way to go... We began looking into what kind of fish go well together and were about to get set up...

when my mother in law decided she needs to move and asked if we wanted her tank. It's a Fluval Spec 2.8 gallons. She's got a couple decorations in it and nothing else, so substrate or plants or anything. The bottom appears to be mirrored. No heater. There are 2 male and one female neon tetras.

I hadn't read much about tetras except they weren't necessarily for beginners and that they shouldn't be put in new tanks.

She brought over the tank half full with the fish inside and then put some tap water in a large mixing bowl treated it with a dechlorinator/amonia removing thing and with something to promote slime and poured it right in.

Is this how I do a 20% water change when I need to?

Also, will the mirrored bottom help the tetras feel like there are more of them so they will be happier?

Or should I get some dark substrate like some sources say they like better?

I'd like some floating plants so they feel safe and the LED light isn't upseting them.

I went to my local fish store and the college kid at the counter was zero help.

Are they ok in room temp water?

Would they be happier if they were rehomed and I got something more appropriate for this size tank? Like some shrimp and a snail or something?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would personally take the neon tetras to an LFS and start the tank over. A Fluval spec would be good for a colony of red cherry shrimp or a male betta

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

tetras are not suited for a tank this small.

as the above stated you should stick with a single betta or shrimp/snails

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com