Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: In SC across the the savannah river from Augusta Ga
Nice calculator fishyperson, thanks--just bookemarked it. I found the MSDS for the ammonia I'm using and it has 3%. So according to the calculator I need 37ml which is about the size of the bottle in my test kit. So I'm gonna add quite a bit more.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Look It Up

HI and welcome! Good luck with your cycle. If you have any questions along the way just ask.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

so getting an active sponge should speed up the process how much? and you would still need to add ammonia to the tank with the active sponge?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtf0rdtough View Post
so getting an active sponge should speed up the process how much? and you would still need to add ammonia to the tank with the active sponge?
Yep still need to add ammonia; the bacteria need to eat or else they'll die.

It's hard to say how much it will lessen the cycle time; every tank is different but it can go a long way it making the cycle progress faster. There really isn't a way to predict how much it will shorten it though; could be a few days, could be 1-2 weeks, could be more.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by builtf0rdtough View Post
If you add enough 'cycled' media, your tank can be instantly cycled & safe for fish. I would still test for a few days with ammonia just to be sure your amm/nitrite is fully converted. With cycled/active media, more is always better in order to have an ample supply of bacteria. As Librarygirl stated, just adding an active sponge can speed things up by days or even weeks but no ones tank/water is exactly the same so its difficult to provide an exact answer for how much things will speed up.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #16

Excellent advice y'all. I just ordered an active filter pad from the AngelsPlus site. It will probably be 3 or 4 days until it gets here. I've also reached 4 - 5 ppm ammonia in the tank so I'm feeling good about this . I'm really glad I found this site btw. I've got a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time here.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta View Post
Excellent advice y'all. I just ordered an active filter pad from the AngelsPlus site. It will probably be 3 or 4 days until it gets here. I've also reached 4 - 5 ppm ammonia in the tank so I'm feeling good about this . I'm really glad I found this site btw. I've got a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time here.
welcome aboard! this is a great place to get help! I just finished (or at least I hope I am finished) cycling my 90 gallon and I am still working on a fish in cycle on my 20 gallon.

so how much did you finally add? I used a syringe and counted by ml - it turned out to be way too many drops to count!! I think I was in the range of 80ml for a 90 gallon. becareful that you don't add too much - a little less is better than too much

good luck and keep us posted
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #18

Hi Heather. I added about 35 ml of 3% ammonia and I'm pretty sure I stuck it right at 4 ppm.

My wife and I are divers. We dive almost every weekend either in the local lake or the Savannah river. We also try to take 1 trip a year to the caribbean for a dive vacation. Now, with our new tank we hope to bring a little bit of the world we've come to love right to our living room

Cheers,
Doug
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta
Hi Heather. I added about 35 ml of 3% ammonia and I'm pretty sure I stuck it right at 4 ppm.

My wife and I are divers. We dive almost every weekend either in the local lake or the Savannah river. We also try to take 1 trip a year to the caribbean for a dive vacation. Now, with our new tank we hope to bring a little bit of the world we've come to love right to our living room

Cheers,
Doug
Cool. You should post pics
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta View Post

Cheers,
Doug
I've never gone diving but I love snorkling!! I have snorkeld several times in Hawaii and I love it! the water is so clear - like swimming in an aquarium. it is the best thing in the world to me! I would love to take a caribbean dive vacation!
so what are you wanting to put in your tank?

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com