Instant cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently doing a dry start on my 10 gallon. The filter for the tank has been in another tank for about a month. So could I do a instant cycle if I used water from another cycled tank and the filter that was in the cycled tank? Thanks.

Depending on how size of the tank the filter came from you may be cycled immediately. Their was no point of transferring the water as their is no beneficial bacteria in tank water. It's only in the substrate,filter,objects in tank and surfaces.

Its a 10 gallon and filter is a marineland penguin biowheel 100. Thanks for the quick reply!

You're more than likely will be cycled but its possible to have a mini cycle, just keep an eye on the parameters.

Instant Tank Cycling

I am currently doing a dry start on my 10 gallon. The filter for the tank has been in another tank for about a month. So could I do a instant cycle if I used water from another cycled tank and the filter that was in the cycled tank? Thanks.

Hello mister...

You can instantly cycle a tank, but you need to take a good portion of the filter media from a larger tank and put it into the smaller one. You're simply moving the bacteria from one tank and putting it into another.

The microscopic bugs that use the ammonia and nitrite for food only live on surfaces inside an established tank. The gravel, decorations and media will have bacteria living on them, you can use these to help cycle a new tank. Moving the old water to the new tank won't help, there's no surface area to support the bacteria.

B

Back
Top Bottom