Instant cycle - didn't work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had an empty 55 gal tank so decided to use it to quarantine 5 new peacock cichlids.

I cleaned the canister filter in tank water from my display tank (it had been running on the empty tank for about 4 weeks since I re-homed my daughter's goldfish). I filled the tank and added a sponge filter that has been running on my display tank for well over six months thinking this would be enough to produce an instant cycle. The display tank has 18 x 3-4 inch cichlids so I assumed there would be enough bacteria in the sponge filter to cope with 5 new 1-2 inch cichlids.

24 hours after introducing them I have: PH 8.2, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0.25.

Any thoughts on the cycle and how I should proceed from here? All of the new fish are eating well and active. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say that it didn't work. More like partially working based on the ammonia reading (zero and trace of nitrites). Just keep monitoring and do water changes regularly.

Thanks for the response. So no need to panic? I'm thinking 25% water change every other day until there is no nitrite reading. What do you think?

Just to follow up, I did another test last night before a water change and nitrites were 0. So looks like the instant cycle did work, just needed a couple of days to establish. I did a 25% water change anyway. All of my new additions are showing great colour, very active and eating well ?

Back
Top Bottom