Intake and spraybar position

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting ready to install the XP3 can filter and was wondering with my convict cichlids what would be the best position for the intake vs the spray bar.
The tank will be very mildly planted, but in general what would be the optimum position in my 75 gal FW?
Aloha,
Scott

I always try to distance the intake and outtake as far as possible.

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

So my next question would be, do I position the spray bar on the back to spray towards the front of the tank or do I position the spray bar at the end to spray across the length of my 75 gal tank. Also, does the spray bar get positioned vertically up and down or horizontally?
Aloha,
Scott

If I put it horizontally I would make sure i is a few in from the bottom. If you don't care if the out and intake are opposites of the tank I would pos one on top and the other on bottom. It gets a circulation going.

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

I have an XP3 on my 55 almost the same setup you have only yours is a little wider. I have my spray bar on the back of the tank horizontialy across the top and my intake is on the opposite side of the tank about 4" from the substrate. This creates a nice flow and aggitates the surface for me as well, havent had any problems and my tanks crystal clear.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

I have mine on the right side wall of my 90g going across just at the water line. Depending on how deep your tank is the bottom gets agitated but not blow your fish away. The beauty of my FX3 is the tap allows you to adjust the flow rate :) I also have a 30 gal rate powerhead the blows from the back to the front. My intake is under my spraybar down at the bottom so the water coming back will be sucked into the intake

:) Yep that's the one I have Tommy

Oops just realized that I put FX instead of XP :( My bad sorry

Fresh808 said:
So my next question would be, do I position the spray bar on the back to spray towards the front of the tank or do I position the spray bar at the end to spray across the length of my 75 gal tank. Also, does the spray bar get positioned vertically up and down or horizontally?
Aloha,
Scott

On the back is the way to go brah! No worries man you'll be happy with that filter.

I have an XP3. This is what I do for the spraybar.

I position it at a slant towards the surface. 3 reasons for this:

1) Less likely to disturb the fish.
2) Helps to disturb the surface tension and mix things around.
3) Most importantly, if it's not working, I can see that because the surface isn't moving. This is HUGE to me. One time our filter stopped working and this was the tip off.

NODAK1979 said:
I have an XP3. This is what I do for the spraybar.

I position it at a slant towards the surface. 3 reasons for this:

1) Less likely to disturb the fish.
2) Helps to disturb the surface tension and mix things around.
3) Most importantly, if it's not working, I can see that because the surface isn't moving. This is HUGE to me. One time our filter stopped working and this was the tip off.

Exact way I have mine set up also.

spraybar positioning

So if I have this right, facing the tank, the intake would do well in the far right corner and the spraybar in the upper left corner facing me and maybe tilted up a degree or so?
Scott

Fresh808 said:
So if I have this right, facing the tank, the intake would do well in the far right corner and the spraybar in the upper left corner facing me and maybe tilted up a degree or so?
Scott

Sounds right to me! Should be good with that set up.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input. Probably elementary to everyone here, just didn't want to do it twice. Tanks in place and want to start decorating it after work today!
Q: Does the water and deco absorb some of the T5 light thats illuminating half of the living room. It's empty right now, but was just asking.

Back
Top Bottom