Interested in buying an aquarium and seek advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Would like to buy an aquarium to hold some cardinal tetras (or maybe Neon Tetras). My experience in keeping an aquarium is non existent almost (used to have a pond with koi).

So far i did not buy anything yet and am just reading and collecting as much info as I can.

Idea would be to get a Jewel Lido 120 (120L), live plants, driftwood and some rocks and populate it with:
- max 10 cardinal Tetras (or max 20 neon tetras)
- max 3 red cherry shrimp
(Also looked at ottocinclus affinis)

Wonder though what combination would be the best (prefer the cardinals and shrimp), but wonder if the neon would be a better option (keeping them but also what combination woulb be more pleasing to look at).

Also could use some advice what stuff i also should need to buy if i start this kind of setup (lightning, filters,...if standard ones are not good).

Ps would be placed in my bedroom so should be fairly quiet pump

Already a big thank you for all the advice!
Andy

Would like to buy an aquarium to hold some cardinal tetras (or maybe Neon Tetras). My experience in keeping an aquarium is non existent almost (used to have a pond with koi).

So far i did not buy anything yet and am just reading and collecting as much info as I can.

Idea would be to get a Jewel Lido 120 (120L), live plants, driftwood and some rocks and populate it with:
- max 10 cardinal Tetras (or max 20 neon tetras)
- max 3 red cherry shrimp
(Also looked at ottocinclus affinis)

Wonder though what combination would be the best (prefer the cardinals and shrimp), but wonder if the neon would be a better option (keeping them but also what combination woulb be more pleasing to look at).

Also could use some advice what stuff i also should need to buy if i start this kind of setup (lightning, filters,...if standard ones are not good).

Ps would be placed in my bedroom so should be fairly quiet pump

Already a big thank you for all the advice!
Andy
So like a 30 long or a 29 gallon? First id say get a larger tank, not as in a 120l is to small but you might want a larger one as soon as you get it so get the largest one practical.

Either cardnal or neons sounds fine, I also like glow light tetras.

For a filter I really like the Fluval C3/C4 had a C4 on my 20 and now 29 gallon. I like a filter that is quiet and JUST the carbon can be removed if needed. For live plants a different/better light is needed.

EDIT: Wohhh I looked that thing up, it comes with its own filter, adjustable heater and T5's I'd say ur set. All in ones are not my preference but it looks cool, almost like an Oceanic BioCube.

Last edited:
So,
Neon tetra's are good - you should be able to jam 15 or so in a 30 gallon, without them getting to uncomfortable.
Aquaclear filters are REALLY good, although they slightly underestimate the gallon capacity, so get a larger filter than you think you will need.
Live plants are always good, though they need fertilizer.
120 gallons is really a bit much for a beginner like yourself, max maybe 50 so you can keep up with the water changes and algae removal (algae scraper is a must have right now thing.)

Also, read up about cycling your aquarium, or you will have a bunch of fish floating belly up.

Good luck

So,
Neon tetra's are good - you should be able to jam 15 or so in a 30 gallon, without them getting to uncomfortable.
Aquaclear filters are REALLY good, although they slightly underestimate the gallon capacity, so get a larger filter than you think you will need.
Live plants are always good, though they need fertilizer.
120 gallons is really a bit much for a beginner like yourself, max maybe 50 so you can keep up with the water changes and algae removal (algae scraper is a must have right now thing.)

Also, read up about cycling your aquarium, or you will have a bunch of fish floating belly up.

Good luck
It's a 120L and comes with a filter, that hes looking at

the tank seems good but you might what to try some small barbs for first fish , like some danios there a lot more forgiving of mistakes than neon
a bunch of tiger barbs would be nice , colorful with a lot of movement , pretty cheap
but you need at least 6 or they will fight
I would stay away from the ottos at first they can be sensitive
1 brush nose pleco would be better(only 1)

120 gallons is still a bit large for a newbie.

Also, Tiger barbs are fin nippers, so if you get those, stay away from large finned fish

Like everyone else is saying you may not want to start off with neons as they are sensitive but i also wouldnt do tiger barbs if you want red cherry shrimp. I would go with some guppies and then once your tank is established i would get the neons.

Kind of curious but why only 3? They have no virtually no bioload and are very small. Id say get 10-15 red cherry shrimp and they will breed as long as nothing is eating them.

remember the larger the tank the more forgiving it is if you make a mistake but a 120L(30 gal) is good size to start with. If you have the room to go bigger then you should but you dont have to. Do you know about cycling a tank? Do you have any friends with an established tank?

Back
Top Bottom