Introductions and a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caltus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I am fairly new to the hobby set up my first tank early sept this past year with the dreams of a sexy heavily planted tank. I completed my task.
Caltus_ComTank.jpg

I have a 29 gallon and a 20 gallon

my 29 is my main tank
65 watt light

2 saes
2 neon tetras
2 mollies (1 black, 1 white)
2 Gold Gouramis
1 clown loach
1 Blue Ram
1 adult Sword Tail
3 Baby Sword Tail

For plants i have
Banana plants, hornwort, water wateria, water hedge, baby tears, a red sword (not sure of the name), red dwarf bulbs

the 20 gallon was originally set up as a breeding tank for sword tails, not something i was expecting but came through with about 25 sword tail fry that lived, the mother died the next day. after about 3 months i took the babies to the LFS and got some store credit which i purchased 2 amazon dwarf frogs and 3 ghost shrimp to leave in the 20 gal along with 3 remaining baby sword tails. i think the light on that is only 20w and i have some various low light plants in there still debating on what to do with the 20 gal tank ideally i will buy a better light for the 29 Gal and move the 65w light to the 20 gal.

I have had my problems but have taken my time and done lots of research so there has not been many and i am proud to say that have not lost a fish that has gotten established in my tank, had a few loses from wal-mart fish as well as ich but i only lost fish i had bought with the fish that came with the ich and the only fish that showed signs, The clown loach, Is one of the most rambuctios fish to this day and i got him for only 2.99 at wal mart because they though it was a common pleco so i came out of the ordeal with 24 sword tail fry and a 2.99 clown loach, only lost 2 adult sword tails and a rainbow shark

So here is the only thing that i cant seem to get a grasp on and i am thinking that i just need more test kits but i think i am laking some fertilizers that i need. i have been looking around but the only so called "master" tets kits i have seen only test for the basics so there is not anything master about it, is there a one shot kit that i can buy that is affordable and will test for everything neccesary. i currently dose with the recommended weekly dosages of Flourish Nitrogen, Iron, Phosphorus and Trace. most of my plants are doing great but there is one plant that i have that grows fantastic in the 20 gal with low light, used to grown great in my 29 gallon but now after i had problems with Ich and getting everything back to normal the leaves all curl under and start to brown but the roots are still white, and the top of the plant continues to show new growth in leaves but the stem does not seem to get longer. i am guessing i have depleted some nutrient or there is to much of a nutrient i really do not know, the water also seems to be cloudy. i do lots of water changes, daily when the water is real cloudy its been about 2 weeks now that the water has been clear so i havnt been doing nearly as many water changes, 10% every 4 days. does the better lights show more particles in the water? make them glow more because the 20 gal is almost crystal clear but the water sources etc are all the same for both tanks. they even have the same filter. i have read the stickies on fertilization here and they are good and i plan to read over them again if anyone knows why my stem plants do not seem to want to grow please help, and if more information is needed please ask and i will tell you what i can.

PH 7
Kh 3.5
Gh 4
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0

Thanks for reading this if you made it to the end

Caltus

Well ive been on that web page but never came across that kit, thank you. any one have anyother recomendations for a test kit? does correct fertalization sound like my problem or will we not know until i get the test kit?

Yea i do have DIY Co2, Thought about that, came back to edit, you beat me to it =). Thank you though ive enjoyed it a lot.

After quite a bit of looking I ended up buying the Hagen Master Test Kit from BigAls that GreenMagi recommended to you. I received it earlier this week and I am very pleased with it. Of course I had to have fun testing with it the next day and comparing my results with the test strips I had been using. I'd say that they are slightly more complicated and time consuming than the test strips, but it's great knowing I'm getting more exact results as well as actually having a test for phosphate!

Back
Top Bottom