Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionX View Post
I run my tanks at 85 or so for around 5 days or so, only when i have had an ick breakout, this made the fish a bit active, but the ick Exploded and now can can drop the temp, as i have read somewhere that high temps are not good for too long and some fish dont like too hot temps
Heat alone will not irradicate ick. It needs to be used in conjunction with salt. Search the forums for ich treatment. It most likely just went waterborne and will reappear. The main troubles with higher temps are depleted O2 saturation and increased fish metabolism. The two combine to create serious issues.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to OrionX
oops yes i did forget to mention i added a bit of salt i do need to add some more salt, but im not sure if i should take the zeolite ammonia remover out of my filter when adding some more salt

Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the thread derailment Mort.

Orion- why are you running an ammonia remover? Was your tank cycled?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #14

Sorry from my side too Mort, yes it was cycled, but the LFs here told me that i would need it if i run my temps high i might get more activity and there may be more waste produced by the fish. They were the ones who told me to increase the temp to around 85 for ick treatment for 5 days. They had ick treatments, which had copper in it, and having plants i read that too much copper is not good, so i requested an alternative.

The bottle of zeolite they sold me says on it remove zeolite before adding salt ~ im not sure if they cause some kind of chemical reaction or not, hence i was dicey to really too much salt. i am beginning to think some LFS are just out to make money
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Their advice seems reasonable, but better (and cheaper) advice may have been to just reduce feedings to once every other day and do water changes (salt would need to be added). Did they sell you aquarium salt for the treatment? I ask because regular table salt would work.

I could be wrong, but I believe that salt will essentially "kill" the zeolite.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 AM   #16

No they have not, but I saw the other day in the pool section of a hardware store that you get non iodated salt in a 25kg bag, this I assume is probably for salt water pools. Would this work in aquariums?

I will reduce feedings as of now.

With regards to Zeolite, Im not sure how this works or what it is, Maybe this is not the place, i will make a new thread on it asking the correct questions, as they say on the bottle remove zeolite before adding salt(which might kill it, as you say), but then i hear conflicting reports that says to recharge zeolite soak it in a saltwater solution

Mort once again sorry for the derailment. On your tank whith the overheating problem, i could be wrong but i know filter pumps can sometimes add a slight amount of heat to the tank, a possibility that could assist you would be to maybe have the inlet water drip in a thin sheet over a wide area of glass (like a waterfall effect) that could be cooled with maybe an aluminium heatsink and a PC fan glued to it(obviously on a side where there is no water at all). This is a similar principle that a water cooler uses. Water is kept in a container, and a heatsink with a pc fan is mounted to it, as the fan spins it cools the heatsink which in turn cools the container, thus extracting the heat from the water.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com