Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Is a 1.0 nitrite spike normal?

I started a new 55gl. tank and marineland 350 HOB the first week of April since then ive had an amazing 4 yr old albino cory and 2 goldfish from the fair and one from petsmart. Since then the three goldfish have slowly died unfortunately. About 2 weeks ago I set up a sun sun 302 and sponge bubble filter. Since the gold fish died, I have been doing small daily water changes and gravel vacuums every couple of days. I've also been testing the water almost daily and today is the day where I finally see 0 ammonia but about 1.0 ppm nitrite and what I believe to be 0- 0.5 nitrates. Is this a sign of my cycle finally completing and I shouldn't worry? Or is there something keeping my nitrate producing bacteria from growing? And also why did it take so long for me to see these changes in my water? I now have 4 tiny albino corys and the 4 yr old and 3 baby angel fish, it is a planted tank with black gravel some boiled drift wood and boiled sea shells to balance the acidity from the wood and gravel.

Current tank status:
Ammonia- 0
Ph- 6.8-7.0
Nitrite- 1.0
Nitrate- 0- 0.5

Thanks

Old 06-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Stocking website
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Ok, sounds like nitrates are coming in which suggests getting towards the end. PH looks ok. I'd check the tap water for all readings (eg. just in case you have nitrates in tap water).

Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Stocking website
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Ok, sounds like nitrates are coming in which suggests getting towards the end. PH looks ok. I'd check the tap water for all readings (eg. just in case you have nitrates in tap water).
Ok makes sense, so the spike is pretty normal at this stage? And other than water changes, what can I do to protect fish against nitrite?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Seachem prime water conditioner will protect against ammonia, etc if you are not already using.

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

A pinch of salt will also protect against nitrites (only).
Old 06-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Seachem prime water conditioner will protect against ammonia, etc if you are not already using.

Seachem - Prime

A pinch of salt will also protect against nitrites (only).
Yeah, already using prime, I will look into the salt then, thank you.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds good, you would be covered with prime then and wouldn't need any salt.

Tags
nitrite, spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com