Is a 40g filter too large for a 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidlarrimore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I received a 20 gallon tank along with a Tetra whisper 40i filter. Is the water flow going to be too much and stress out the fish?

Thanks

-Dave

(Pic of tank. Filter is in back left)
1-1.jpg

What fish?

Most don't mind a bit of current, esp. when you have some rocks or other decor to break it up.

Besides, filter manufacturers are really optimistic when rating the filters, doubling the recommended size is not unreasonable.

2 Pearl Danio's and 1 lonely Penguin Tetra.

I appreciate the comment. This is my first tank so I'm weary about everything I see.

Thanks again.

Davidlarrimore said:
2 Pearl Danio's and 1 lonely Penguin Tetra.

I appreciate the comment. This is my first tank so I'm weary about everything I see.

Thanks again.

Should be fine. Those fish are fast so it shouldn't bother them.

Why is he alone??? I think he deserves a school if he's been all by himself his life.

Yea i agree with bruinsbro. Penguins tetras need a school of atleast 6.

When I origionally got the tank and equipment, I bought 3 Danios during our local fish stores moving sale and my neighbors put them in his 55 gallon tank.

One of them died in the tank, so my neighbor gave me one of his tetras. The plan was to get 5 or so more once the BB was built up.

jsoong said:
I see you are doing a fishy cycle??

Read up on cycling if you want to be successful in this hobby.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Incidentally, you can get almost an instant cycle if you get your neighbor to give you some used media to seed your tank with.

I have definitely rushed things a bit, but I want to get back on track. What type of media would you suggest getting from my neighbors tank? Gravel? Decorations?

I know he has a different filter.

Thank you again.

If he has bio balls or ceramic noodles get those. Anything from his filter will help.

Davidlarrimore said:
I have definitely rushed things a bit, but I want to get back on track. What type of media would you suggest getting from my neighbors tank? Gravel? Decorations?

I know he has a different filter.

Thank you again.

Ask him for his filter cartridges. That is where most of the bacteria lives, regardless what kind of filter (unless it's an undergravel one).

bruinsbro1997 said:
Ask him for his filter cartridges. That is where most of the bacteria lives, regardless what kind of filter (unless it's an undergravel one).

I just spoke with him and he just replaced both of his filters because they were falling apart. He had several fish die so he changed up the water and filter.

I just spoke with him and he just replaced both of his filters because they were falling apart. He had several fish die so he changed up the water and filter.

If he is having fish deaths, then you don't want anything from his tank in yours. What they meant to say was that if you had a neighbor with a healthy established aquarium then you should seed with some media (gravel, decoractions, etc.)

With those small fish you shouldn't experience many problems with a fish in cycle just keep up on the water changes, twice weekly for a few weeks if you can manage, and most importantly make sure you don't over feed, you'll do fine.

If he is having fish deaths, then you don't want anything from his tank in yours. What they meant to say was that if you had a neighbor with a healthy established aquarium then you should seed with some media (gravel, decoractions, etc.)

With those small fish you shouldn't experience many problems with a fish in cycle just keep up on the water changes, twice weekly for a few weeks if you can manage, and most importantly make sure you don't over feed, you'll do fine.

The fish came from his neighbor's tank .... so it is a moot point when it comes to transferring disease with media ....

It is prob less harmful to the fish to have a cycled tank compared to the risk of disease transmission. OTOH - there is no stress if you are diligent in your daily water changes & able to keep levels low.

I'm happy to do daily water changes (I assume only 10% - 15%) if that will keep the fish from experiencing any pain or discomfort from my impatience.

10-15% is fine daily. Do you have a test kit? You should be testing the water daily and hopefully the cycle will complete soon. If you have a spike do a 30-50% water change.

My neighbor is letting me use theirs. I'm not sure of the brand, but I attached a pic of the kit.

Last nights numbers were:
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 1.0 mg/l
Nitrites: 0.0 mg/l
Nitrates: 5.0 mg/l

Ammonia at 1.0 means a pwc!!

Ideally you want to keep ammonia less than 0.5 & nitrites less than 0.25. So when you see a 1.0 in ammonia, do a 50% pwc.

The drill for a fishy cycle is to check levels daily & do pwc based on the results. The higher the level, the larger pwc you need.

i got a jar of gravel from my co-worker and bang my system was cycled in 3 days. I am going to steal some water and filter media from my 36 gallon corner tank and use that in my 120 i should be up in no time.

Back
Top Bottom