Is a bubbler neccessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperFly426

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with a Marineland Penguin 100 (rated for a 20 gallon).
Under the gravel I have a bubbler ... is it necessary or can I get away with just the filter, since I have live plants too?

I have a 10 gallon tank with a Marineland Penguin 100 (rated for a 20 gallon).
Under the gravel I have a bubbler ... is it necessary or can I get away with just the filter, since I have live plants too?

Not needed at all. It's just for looks if your going for that. But NO, you'll be fine without it.

I agree with Convict, a bubbler is optional in my opinion.

I do believe that it oxygenates the water a bit. :)

I agree with what's been said - if you have a HOB filter that is making current in the water, then no you do not need one. The surface agitation allows for adequate gas exchange, and so a bubbler would purely be for aesthetic purposes.

I agree with what's been said - if you have a HOB filter that is making current in the water, then no you do not need one. The surface agitation allows for adequate gas exchange, and so a bubbler would purely be for aesthetic purposes.
:agree:I do like bubbles in mine though. Just a personal thing.. If you do have one and don't use it often, it will stir up any debris laying in the gravel. It can also clog if not used regulary....

i would have to agree that it is not necessary... PROVIDED that you are getting enough surface agitation for gas exchange...

i personally do not like bubbles in my tank... which is why i chose to go with a powerhead with a snorkel on a timer to turn on when my lights turn off...

Back
Top Bottom