Is a Fluvall 404 enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chadthedad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Will the Fluval 404 be enough filtration/surface movement for my 75 gallon aquarium or will I need to add a power head as well for more surface agitation. I will just be doing community freshwater fish.

Thanks,
:n00b:

I would actually recommend 2 cannisters to avoid dead spots. If that isn't possible get the 404 as close to the middle of the tank and add a powerhead.

Yes that is what I mean. The fluval 404 has not got a wide output spout so it will only spray outward so far. A powerhead will help in eliminating any dead spots in the filtration. Now if you plan on having a betta or other fish that don't like current that would be a problem. I have several 404's and on my discus tank for example I removed the plastic cover off the output to allow the water flow to be directed downward as discus do not like a lot of current.

Just so I have this right...

If I use a powerhead and the canister I should put the outlets in the corners. If I go with the canister alone I should put the outlet in the middle?

I just thought of another filtering type question...

I am using a 3D background so my filter intake/power head intake will be behind the background and the returns will go through the background and into the front area. I need to put a hole in the background for water to flow from the front to the back. I'm not sure whether that should be at the top like an overflow or if it should be at the bottom of the background (or maybe both).

Specifically I meant to use either two cannisters or a cannister and a powerhead in the corners. Depending on the type of fish you want the 404 alone may not be enough, but if you do go with it alone, try to get it in the middle. I can't help you with the 3D background and filter question.

Back
Top Bottom