Is it normal for a 40 gal to bow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!

I just set up my 40 gal breeder made by aqueon today. It's been sitting empty for quite some time now because we just moved. So I set it up today and noticed that its bowing slightly. Is this normal? Should I be worried? (I already am freaking out lol) I have it set up on a steel sand with some plywood in between to distribute the weight evenly and add more support. The bow is about 1/4". I just really don't want to come back to our new house tomorrow and find 40 gallons of water all over my parents new floors they just put in and find my goldfish dead :(

image-2228423472.jpg

image-3699069132.jpg

I would say it is pretty normal. I have two, an old one with a center brace and a new one without a center brace. The old one doesn't bow at all but the new one does. Since it is only 16 inches tall I would think that the chances of it breaking are fairly slim. If it bothers you too much you could always empty it until it doesn't bow and then DIY a center brace with a strip of rigid plastic and some epoxy.

I would say it is pretty normal. I have two, an old one with a center brace and a new one without a center brace. The old one doesn't bow at all but the new one does. Since it is only 16 inches tall I would think that the chances of it breaking are fairly slim. If it bothers you too much you could always empty it until it doesn't bow and then DIY a center brace with a strip of rigid plastic and some epoxy.

Do you think that the bubbles in the Seam is normal too? And would the brace help it or hurt it? How long has your new tank been up and bowing?

This is just the largest tank I have ever had myself and it would devastate me to see it ruined or ruin my parents house

Do you think that the bubbles in the Seam is normal too? And would the brace help it or hurt it? How long has your new tank been up and bowing?

I would not consider a few bubbles in the silicon much of an issue. If it is an over-abundance of bubbles then maybe. It's not really the silicon seams that you can see that hold it together, it's the silicon between the edges of the glass pieces that do most of the work. Take pictures and contact the manufacturer and ask their opinion, they may tell you to take it back or they may tell you it is fine.

As far as the bowing... That tank is no longer set up and was never full of water for more than a few weeks during the time I moved. It is now my salt water mixing tank and only gets filled half way at a time. I know quite a few people that use these tanks for reef tanks so I doubt there is an issue.

If you are unhappy with it then pull it down and return it to the store. Make sure to inspect the replacement for bubbles in the seams if it concerns you.

It is in the seam between the glass. I can't remember if they were there when I bought it or not. I am just really paranoid with this tank. I think especially because its the largest tank that I have ever had myself.

It is in the seam between the glass. I can't remember if they were there when I bought it or not. I am just really paranoid with this tank. I think especially because its the largest tank that I have ever had myself.

Curious as to how you are seeing this. The glass should be pressed so close together that it is but a very thin layer between one edge and the other.

lexiesboots, blert, is correct and I once had the same problem with a 50 gal. that sat in storage a while...and it to seemed to bow more than I felt was normal...so I did the brace, and let it setup for a few days, before I added more water...that reduced the amount of bow (still had some), and I never had a break...but like always... that was me and I cannot say it works for everyone...but really feel you will be OK. PP

lexiesboots, blert, is correct and I once had the same problem with a 50 gal. that sat in storage a while...and it to seemed to bow more than I felt was normal...so I did the brace, and let it setup for a few days, before I added more water...that reduced the amount of bow (still had some), and I never had a break...but like always... that was me and I cannot say it works for everyone...but really feel you will be OK. PP

Will do! Like I said I am just really paranoid. Are they supposed to bow a little bit? or is it relatively normal? i mean I know the water weighs a lot and its putting a lot of pressure on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom