Is it okay to do two 50% water changes per day in an emergency while fish in cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I happen to have some Seachem Stability on me right now. Would that work or should I go buy some TSS tomorrow?

It can't hurt any.Give it a try following directions for a week.
Dr.Tims and TSS are the two most recommended..They are both basically the same and DR.Tim is the creator of the 'bacteria booster'.Now there are other brands of the same thing..Sea chem is a good company with good products ,but I have never used the stability.

The water is not important, there is no beneficial bacteria in the water, it is the ammonia that establishes your beneficial bacteria. Frequent water changes and low ammonia don't allow the ammonia eating bacteria to establish as fast. So the ammonia is bad for the fish and good for the cycle. You need low ammonia to keep the fish healthy and plenty of ammonia to help establish the cycle. Basically you are caught in the middle. The best solution is water changes often and big enough to protect the fish even if it takes longer for the cycle to complete.

Yes, but if you were to borrow water from an established tank it would speed up the process..

that's what i was suggesting.. Or soaking filter material in an established tank

Yes, but if you were to borrow water from an established tank it would speed up the process..
Not measurably. Under normal aquarium circumstances, there isn't enough bacteria free floating in the water to make any difference.

Even floating unused filter material in an established tank will not make that much difference unless you have some water flow going through it.

Things that could speed up the cycle would be, for example, running a new filter on an established tank or taking used filter material from an established tank. In my experience, the latter is more effective than the former.

I agree the water is useless.
Consider that some people change massive amounts of water without any effect on the tanks biological bacteria.All that is in used tank water is the stuff we are changing water to rid the tank of..Nitrates .There is no fishless cycle where you add nitrate to cycle tank that I am aware of?

Back
Top Bottom