Is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it safe for me to go get 2 otos for my tank now? Nitrites are down to 1.0, nitrates at 10, ammonia has been 0. Here's a chart for the last several tests:

5/11 - Nitrites 3, Nitrates 50
5/17 - Nitrites 5, Nitrates 10
5/19 - Nitrites 2, Nitrates 5
5/21 - Nitrites 1, Nitrates 10

Some of the readings could be off because it's really difficult to distinguish between colors on those charts sometimes. But I am sure of today's readings, they were pretty clear.

Ammonia 0, pH 7.6, temp. 82

I plan to get 2 otos first, then a betta after a couple weeks.

5 gal Eclipse Hex tank, fishless cycling

Remember to get some kind of vegetarian feed like algae pellets and give them an occasional blanched vegetable.
I doubt a single beta will ever cause the generation of enough algae for your otos to chow . and diatoms are a ways away you tank ia to ne with no residents

The repuation by some of of being hard to keep just comes from their ned for water that has good readings NH and NO2 but plenty to eat. :)

Christmasfish said:
Remember to get some kind of vegetarian feed like algae pellets and give them an occasional blanched vegetable.

Woohoo! Fishies here I come.

Yes, I know about the algae pellets. I've also seen other posts about feeding peas occasionally. What does that do, is that good for their digestive system, similar to eating natural vegetation?

:D

I have 4 otos in a 46g tank...they are super picky and do not eat anything other than the diatomes that occur naturally in the tank. They scoff at algae pellets and ignore blanched peas and cucumber. :roll:
But they seem very content and don't seem to lack for food. But my tank is larger and I have other fish and live plants in there as well...
(I forgot the size of your tank). Otos are also nice when in groups of 4 or more because of the "group dynamics"...but like Christmasfish said...it's tricky to make sure they have enough natural food to feed on...unless yours are less picky than mine and will feed on supplements. Best of luck to you! :)

Well, I hope my otos will eat the algae pellets I got them. Even if they're picky, please tell me they won't starve themselves rather than eat the pellets? :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom