Is it time for the first water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm give you some details about my tank, your advice is appreciated.

My tank is two weeks old and I seeded it with some decorations out of my 10 gallon tank. I've basically skipped the nitrogen cycle all together. Within a few days of starting the tank my Ammonia was a .25 ppm and is now 0. I've never had a reading for the Nitrites so they're still at 0. As for the Nitrates, those were at 40 but have since dropped to 10. Again my tank is two weeks old, and I've been patiently waiting however I'm not seeing the standard Nitrogen Cycle numbers that I'm expecting.

Now the questions:

1. What the hell is going on?
2. Is it time for my water change?
3. Do I need to be more patient?

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

I'm give you some details about my tank, your advice is appreciated.

My tank is two weeks old and I seeded it with some decorations out of my 10 gallon tank. I've basically skipped the nitrogen cycle all together. Within a few days of starting the tank my Ammonia was a .25 ppm and is now 0. I've never had a reading for the Nitrites so they're still at 0. As for the Nitrates, those were at 40 but have since dropped to 10. Again my tank is two weeks old, and I've been patiently waiting however I'm not seeing the standard Nitrogen Cycle numbers that I'm expecting.

Now the questions:

1. What the hell is going on?
2. Is it time for my water change?
3. Do I need to be more patient?

Thanks in advance! :thanks:

What are you using as your ammonia source? I'd wait a little longer, no rush right?

What are you using as your ammonia source? I'd wait a little longer, no rush right?

I didn't use anything for an ammonia source. I suppose it's fish in cycle. I had 3 Molly's from my old FW 10g that i brought over. Right no rush, this is my FW tank, not the SW. I'm just wondering, I'm sure once the maintenance begins I'll be wishing I could skip, but I keep reading about peoples water changes etc. I just don't wanna kill the fish, and the levels are changing, everything is zero except the Nitrates and those have dropped considerably over the past week; from 40 to 10. I'm chillin... :popcorn:

I didn't use anything for an ammonia source. I suppose it's fish in cycle. I had 3 Molly's from my old FW 10g that i brought over. Right no rush, this is my FW tank, not the SW. I'm just wondering, I'm sure once the maintenance begins I'll be wishing I could skip, but I keep reading about peoples water changes etc. I just don't wanna kill the fish, and the levels are changing, everything is zero except the Nitrates and those have dropped considerably over the past week; from 40 to 10. I'm chillin... :popcorn:

10 isn't bad nor is 40ppm. I'd hold off and see what tomorrow brings.

PH has been holding at 7.6 since day 1. Lfs said that's ok. Not a planted tank.

I went to pick up a siphon since I knew I was going to be changing out soon and when I got home I did another set of readings. The water was holding steady from the previous day and I also looked through the tank length wise. The water was a touch cloudy, not bad but definitely noticeable. I gave ten gallons of fish water to my dwarf orange tree in the front yard. Added two caps of prime to the tank and grabbed the garden hose to fill'er up. I noticed a considerable difference in clarity and the fish handled it fine. I checked the tank this morning before heading out, the water looked good and was back to correct temp, and most importantly NO FLOATERS! The maintenence schedule has begun...

Back
Top Bottom