Is my API test kit bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
bought this kit only a month ago and the NitrIte test seems to be giving me bogus numbers.

First off, the lot number is 26A0511, so I assume that means it was made in May of this year, so I don't think that's it. I also shake the test before I use it each time even though it does not call for it.

Anyway

For the last 2 days my nitrIte has been high so I've been doing massive water changes. I did a test today when I got home from work and it turned purple before I even started shaking it. It was a deep purple after a few minutes.

I checked my COLD tap water (well water) and it shows 0 nitrIte. I also checked my bottled water and it showed 0. I checked my WARM and HOT tap water and it turns deep purple. Checked COLD again and it's 0ppm

I did only a 20% water change because I had to use cold water, then waited an hour or so and tested the aquarium water and it shows 0 nitrIte. No way it went from deep purple off the chart to 0 with only a 5 gallon change on a 29 gallon tank!

What on earth could be going wrong here? I don't seem to have any issues with the other tests, and don't think I had issues with this test before now. I'm using 5 drops, and the nitrIte is only 1 part to mix.

Hm, that is odd. The manufacture date says it was manufactured in May of this year, correct, but it could have been a bad batch. Before scrapping the test can you take the samples to an LFS to test?

Good idea. My neighbor has a giant saltwater tank, I assume his kit can still test freshwater, right? If the test is really to blame (better that than my tank), with it being so now I'll try to send it back and get a replacement sent out.

Are you cycling fishless or with fish?

I'd ask your neighbor then and see if his test can test for FW (not sure, it should say on his kit though) and if it does see what his test reads. If not take the samples to an LFS.

I'm the dummy that found out about fishless cycling after I bought fish. I've had fish in the tank for 3-4 weeks now though and have been doing proper water changes to keep the levels to a safe level.

Neighbor isn't even home, so I'll get it checked at the store tomorrow.

Just to be safe I'd do a larger pwc if you haven't done one today (I'm talking like 80%; if nitrite are really so high that the tube is turning purple right away then that's not good for fish). How large a pwc have you been doing daily? The nitrite phase is very dangerous for fish; it may take testing 2x per day and pwc more than once per day to keep nitrites <.25 at all times; they shouldn't be allowed to spike. Good luck!

I've been doing around 50% then another 50% an hour later each day for the last 3 days. Before seeing spikes (things were fairly stable around 0-.25ppm, I did like 40%, twice a week.

I've been doing around 50% then another 50% an hour later each day for the last 3 days. Before seeing spikes (things were fairly stable around 0-.25ppm, I did like 40%, twice a week.

Good going! You're doing great and I'm sure your fish appreciate it. You should be halfway there if not more; hopefully nitrites will go to 0 soon so you can stop carrying buckets :).

Could it be that when you do a pwc that the dechlorinator or w/e product you use is nuetralizing the nitrites for a period of time and that is why your results come up weird.
just a thought

Some people will argue this point, but my understanding is that you must wait 24 hours to test after using a dechlorinator.

Similar scenario for me I did a WC down to the gravel yesterday, and my ites and ates were both off the charts an hour later. Gonna do another huge WC in a few minutes and see if they drop this time. Here's the process I typically follow (still fishless right now, FYI).

Empty tank
Refill with bucket, adding small dose of dechlor to each bucket load
Wait 30 min to be safe
Re-prime HOB filter with water from tank that's been sitting
Turn on filter and heater
Wait an hour or so to mix and stabilize
Test water
Redose ammonia & retest after about 30 min

In the past this method would take both ites and ates back to really low levels. Yesterday, it only minimally affected the ates, and it didn't even touch the ites.

I was just assuming the concentrations had gotten super high since I'm so close to the end of my cycle. I'm not suspecting any problems with the test kit itself.

Alright well here's a little update. I tested my water when I got home from work today. .25 or less nitrIte and my neighbor's test showed the same thing. I have no idea what the deal was yesterday. I'm just relieved to have it low again.

I'm getting ready to do another 50% or so just for good measure. Side note: I just recharged my Purigen for the first time and stuck it back in. It's a little scary, but I smelled no bleach and soaked it in Prime for 24 hours instead of 8.

Just a thought is it possible there was some residual testing chemicals in the tube? I am always afraid I don't rinse them good enough.

I thought about that, but I usually wash them with really hot water for 10 seconds or so each. I tried washing them for like 30 seconds yesterday in my frustration lol. Just to be safe, I added half a cap of Prime. I'll do that water change in a bit. I really appreciate all the input you guys gave <3

my api test used to do that with ammonia. But if it was that bad my fish would have died, got sick, and not shown growth very fast on the fins. Also with nitrates they showed up having none but my tank riddled with algae. My tests would show a signal of a failing tank, but the way my tank looked was very healthy. Sometimes you just need to trust your eye.on how things look. Observation of your tank visually should help out. If the fish look ok and swimming fine you should be ok. I just vacuumed the first time in 6 months a week ago and I have 14 fish in a 10 gallon. I dont test anymore nor change water, tank must balance itself out and am lucky.

I just vacuumed the first time in 6 months a week ago and I have 14 fish in a 10 gallon. I dont test anymore nor change water, tank must balance itself out and am lucky.

Are all these items really true, or slightly exaggerated?

- Only vacuum once in 6 months
- No water changes
- 14 fish (what kinds?) in a 10 gallon tank

That pretty much defies the natural laws of physics, but I hate calling BS on anything when I don't have any proof. Sure does seem too good to be true though. Where in the world do all the nitrates go? Are you adding some neutralizing chemical to the water?

One thing I found with api drip test is they are not consistent exactly why I am not sure but from what I have figured out is the drips may not always be the exact same size every time maybe cause we squeeze the bottle a little more on one test than we did another and also it seemed to me that if you didnt shake up the bottles before a test they were inaccurate to

D-vanhorn90 said:
I just vacuumed the first time in 6 months a week ago and I have 14 fish in a 10 gallon. I dont test anymore nor change water, tank must balance itself out and am lucky.

Google "Old Tank Syndrome". There is a LOT more to doing water changes than just reducing nitrAtes and keeping things clean. IMO...that's asking for serious problems and it's just a matter of time (I'm shocked it hasn't happened already).

Vol4Ever said:
Are all these items really true, or slightly exaggerated?

- Only vacuum once in 6 months
- No water changes
- 14 fish (what kinds?) in a 10 gallon tank

That pretty much defies the natural laws of physics, but I hate calling BS on anything when I don't have any proof. Sure does seem too good to be true though. Where in the world do all the nitrates go? Are you adding some neutralizing chemical to the water?

I am telling the truth, I stirred up the gravel and it was mostly little algae particles and the fish poop turn very green quickly. And no, no neutralizing chemical. I may do a gallon of water change here and there but mostly put water from evaporation. I just put an anubias, amazon sword, and moss ball in the tank. Both plants shown 5 new leaves in the first week.

Back
Top Bottom