Is my Cycle Complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pradeepcec

Aquarium Advice Activist
So its Week:2 Day:5 of my fishless cycling with tetra safe start.

Topped up ammonia to 4ppm yesterday and here are todays results post 24 hours
Ammonia: ~0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:~160ppm
pH: 6

Here is the test resultsIMG_7634.jpg

Did a 90% water change with Tetra Aquasafe as declorinator. And post water change pH is 7+ and Nitrate dropped to ~10ppm

Below is the result
IMG_7637.jpg

So now I topped the tank with 1ppm of Ammonia assuming I am done and planning to add fish tomorrow.

So I am done? Anyway I plan to do one more test tomorrow before I go to the fish store!!!

I don't think your ready. That ammonia test looks much greener than .25. Closer to 1. But pics aren't always color correct online. I would suggest you wait for a nice solid yellow 0 ammonia for a week straight of tests before adding fish.

I don't think your ready. That ammonia test looks much greener than .25. Closer to 1. But pics aren't always color correct online. I would suggest you wait for a nice solid yellow 0 ammonia for a week straight of tests before adding fish.

Thank you for the quick reply :)

Although it looks more greener here it is indeed 0.25. It looks more greener because of the shade of near by test tube.

But as you say I will wait for another couple of days. The wait has been almost 3 weeks so another week shouldn't be a big deal ;(

You'll be giving your new fish the best possible start. Great job.

But is it okay if I just top up ammonia to just 1ppm rather than 4ppm and wait for it to be 0 along with nitrites?

Because I see that my pH is dropping to 0 because of the heavy nitrification process with 4ppm.

But is it okay if I just top up ammonia to just 1ppm rather than 4ppm and wait for it to be 0 along with nitrites?

Because I see that my pH is dropping to 0 because of the heavy nitrification process with 4ppm.

Sorry, I mean pH dropping to 6

Sorry I don't know why your PH is dropping so much. What is in the tank? I know some substrate or wood will soften the water. Also I think your supposed to dose the ammonia consistently to 4 based on what I have read. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

I haven't had to cycle a tank in 5+years.

Sorry I don't know why your PH is dropping so much. What is in the tank? I know some substrate or wood will soften the water. Also I think your supposed to dose the ammonia consistently to 4 based on what I have read. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

I haven't had to cycle a tank in 5+years.

My tank is a planted 20 gallon tank. As of now 2 small pond snails have managed to get in and I have kept them. Here is the photo.IMG_7418.jpg

I did a top up of 4ppm because I want to make sure the filter is able to consistently convert the toxins.

What is your substrate? Is it buffered?

It is regular black gravel that I got from the pet store. Not sure if it is buffered or not. Actually when I bought the substrate I was not aware of the concept of fishless cycling and I did not even consider that factor :(

I don't think it's buffered than.

Tank looks good!

Last edited:
I don't think it's buffered than.

Tank looks good!

So what should I do? Adding the Caribsea argonite is a good idea? I was planning to get it today and add it in a mesh bag and let it sit in my tank.

Will that work?

How about adding the aquarium salt? I have the API aquarium salt. Should it help raising the pH?

Don't think the salt will help, many don't use it for anything, even sickness. Use the argonite, it will definitely help. [emoji6]

Don't think the salt will help, many don't use it for anything, even sickness. Use the argonite, it will definitely help. [emoji6]

The best way of using it is putting it in a mesh bag and placing it in the tank correct? Any idea of the quantity that I should use in my 20 gallon?

Thanks

Looks good, plants make all the difference. I always start at the bottom of the food chain and work my way up. Snails are a perfect start. Just go slow n they'll be fine. Don't try n stock it all at once

So todays results are here and I think am very close to completion :)

Ammonia :0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: ~80ppm
pH: 6.4+

I had added ammonia of 4ppm yesterday night, that is about 22 hours ago.

I just added a cup of crushed coral today so I will monitor the pH closely till tomorrow. Do not want it to go very high as well.

Below are the test results,
IMG_7664.jpg

Looks good, plants make all the difference. I always start at the bottom of the food chain and work my way up. Snails are a perfect start. Just go slow n they'll be fine. Don't try n stock it all at once

Sure I am thinking of netrites :) probably a few shrimps too :)

Back
Top Bottom