Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is my cycle crashing?

Hi guys,

I've been doing my cycle for roughly two weeks and its not going the same as listed in the guide on this site and I'm concerned.

My ammonia never drops below 2ppm and now my nitrites are gone in one of the tanks.

Here is my initial tap water:
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

And here is the spreadsheet I've been keeping on both my living room tank and my quarantine tank:

Is something wrong with my cycle? If so what can I do to fix it? I have no way of getting seeding material where I live. Absolutely no one I know has an aquarium and we only have a really crappy Petco (seriously Walmart's fish are much healthier looking than the ones at our Petco).

Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have some patience! Your cycles look fine for only 2wks in- it can 2-3wks before you start to see drops in your ammonia. Continue to monitor your ph for changes. I would go ahead & add a small amount of amm to each tank to bring the amm levels up to 4ppm from 2ppm.

Heres the link for Angelsplus 'active' filters- they are live, seeded filters that many members have used to successfully cycle their tanks. Just make sure you order a filter labeled 'active' or you will just be getting a plain, new filter. Dont hesitate to ask any questions you may have!

Sponge Filters for aquariums

Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with jlk. For 2 weeks in, the numbers look good. Be patient; its the worst part about the hobby. Good job in testing and documenting!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys

I was just concerned because the cycle didn't seem to be following the guide I am using.

I dosed my tanks back up to 4 ppm as suggested and will be ordering the sponge filters.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com