Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is my cycle done?

Hey!! I am wondering if my cycle is finished, please answer somebody!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393454452.226976.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	224936
If it is done can anybody tell m what to do next? I will probably get fish in a week an a half, how do I keep the BB alive, do I use fish food,if so how much? I don't have any ammo? HELP ME!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

what have you done so far? Have you seen any Nitrites and any stage? Have you seen any ammonia? Your trates look very high as well, I would start with a PWC.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

A fish store in my town gave me some gravel from their fish tanks, I put it in a nylon sock and stuffed it in my HOB filter, I also used a product called Tetra Safestart Plus, I didn't see the ammo or nitrite spike, but my nitrates went up, as you can see
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

how log have you been cycling for?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't have a siphon yet but I will get one, will fish food keep the BB alive? How much do I use?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You need to do a couple huge water changes to bring nitrates down to at least 20ppm and then get some fish. You can add some fish food if you want to produce some ammonia for the BB but I suggest you put the food in a media bag or woman's knee-hi nylon and hang it in the tank. You don't just want to put loose food in the tank. You will need to do a 50% weekly water change to keep nutrient and toxin levels low.

And yes, with using seeded media (gravel) and using a bacteria in a bottle (which sometimes works and sometimes not) I'd say you "may" be cycled BUT if you haven't been using any ammonia or ammonia producing food then "no" you probably aren't cycled. It just depends on that seeded media. It could have caused some ammonia if it was dirty enough but there is no way of knowing. Honestly I'd get your nitrates down to acceptable levels and then decide if you want to do a fishless or fish-in cycle. You'll know real quick if your tank is cycled once you add fish or ammonia.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

It only took 3 days to cycle my tank
Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireabigailq View Post

The best way to prove that your tank is fully cycled would be to first get your nitrates down. Then dose with ammonia (some of the other members will need to give advice on the best way to do that) so that you get a substantial reading with your test kit. Then wait 24 hours and test again. If your test shows 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites than you can be confident that your cycle is complete.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for the input!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claireabigailq View Post

You are most definitely not cycled after 3 days. I would assume your 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites are because there has not been an ammonia source. I would also guess your nitrate test reading is unreliable. Are you using test strips or api master test kit? If master kit, did you perform the test exactly to instructions?

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com