Is my cycle stuck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendainnj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It seems I have been cycling forever! Actually about 4 weeks. I've been dosing the ammonia up to 4ppm every 24 hrs., it drops back to about .25 by the next day. The nitrites showed up maybe a week and a half ago but hover between 2-5ppm, and the nitrAtes have not yet risen above 5ppm. Aren't both of them supposed to skyrocket at some point, then I do a large water change?

The only thing I noticed is that the heater could go higher, since it's @80F.

The tank is a 46gal bowfront with driftwood, sand, and live plants.

Thank you; I sold my DH on this idea of fishless cycling since it's "quicker"...so far, he's not buying it! Of course, after hanging around here awhile, I can see that we never actually cycled a tank properly in the past:ermm:

Hi and welcome! You're actually pretty much on track. Nitrites are a good sign; it's the longest phase of the cycle so hang in there. Have you tested PH? What kind of test kit are you using? Have you done any water changes in the 4 weeks? You could try a large water change (as much water as you can take out; don't forget dechlorinator), wait an hour or so, test everything to make sure: everything should be 0. If you still have nitrite that means they were so off-chart it was stalling things so try to keep doing water changes until nitrites are <2 on the chart. Then redose ammonia and see what happens. Unfortunately it's pretty much a waiting game otherwise, but you're about halfway there.

still waiting...

Thank you! I have a newly purchased API test so my readings should be accurate. My ph is 8.0. I only did one water change; that's because I accidentally bumped the ammonia up to 8 rather than 4ppm! I have been following the fishless cycle posted here & I keep waiting for the nitrites/nitrates to go "off the charts" and it's not happening. :(

That is exactly where my tank is in the cycle as well. My nitrites are off the chart, but my nitrates are below 5. Just as you said, I am waiting for them both to go off the charts! I will try the large water change to get the nitrites down. brendainnj, let me know how you do and if you get it jump started!

If your ammonia is dropping and your nitrites aren't going off the charts, I'm going to guess an error in the nitrate test. That test is SUPER picky to do correctly. In the beginning I did it wrong for a while and I thought I was reading 5ppm NitrAtes for a couple of weeks.

10 drops bottle #1 in the vial
Cap the vial, mix briefly
Now shake bottle #2 (not the vial!) for at least 30 seconds, VERY VERY VERY vigorously, like you are trying to break your own arm. If you're doing it this way for the first time shake it for a minute just for good measure.
10 drops bottle #2 in vial
Now cap the vial and shake THAT vigorously for 1 minute

Let us know if this is exactly how you've been doing it already and I'll try to think what else could be wrong. But if ammonia is going down, it is going "somewhere"

I've read here previously about how tricky the nitrate test is...so I've been pretty careful to shake it really hard just as described. I did a 50% water change today, after about 30 min., the nitrites were still @5ppm. So I assumed I didn't wait long enough. I also added another 30ml of ammonia, since it was back down to .25 before the WC. Now, about 4 hrs. later, the readings are as follows: Amm=2ppm, Nitrite=5ppm, NitrAte=5ppm. I also tested my tap for nitrites, but none there.

Is there anything else I should be doing...tomorrow is Saturday; I just know what my DH's question will be in the morning...can we get fish today??

I would stop adding ammonia every day. Dose up to 2ppm every 3-4 days and that is it. When it clears ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours you are done. The nitrite phase just takes a while.

I advocate a lot less ammonia dosing once the nitrite phase begins, it just doesn't need to be topped up every day.

As a math note, you should be producing 3.6ishppm nitrAtes for every 1ppm ammonia (after it all processes). It sounds like you are just still in the nitrite phase.

Last edited:
Is there anything else I should be doing...tomorrow is Saturday; I just know what my DH's question will be in the morning...can we get fish today??

Sorry no fish yet. You definitely don't want to add fish mid-cycle. Just hang in there a bit more. As I said the nitrite phase is the longest. Just keep an eye on PH (if it drops below 7, do a water change) and keep dosing ammonia. If nitrites stay 5+ for a week or more, do a water change to get them down. Otherwise it's just a waiting game. Also for the nitrate test I advise shaking BOTH bottles for 30 sec even though the instructions say to just shake bottle 2. Also bang the bottom of the bottles on a hard surface or the palm of your hand a few times to release the reagent powder on the bottom.

OK, thank you ladies...now it's been 4 days since I've checked my tank. Current readings: Amm < .25, Nitrites=0, NitrAtes=80-100 ppm! They're finally here!!! OK, now what do I do? :). My ph has dropped slightly from 8.0 to 7.6. I'm guessing a 50% WC? Then I dose the ammonia back to 2 ppm? If the nitrAtes go down, is it time for fish?

Thanks; it finally seems like something is happening....

I wouldn't bother with the water change yet. Dose 4ppm ammonia. If it clears in 24 hours (or close to it), you are done. I am guessing you are done.

Then perform the largest water change you can (90%!), wait 24 hours for your pH to settle, and get your fish.

Latest readings...24 hrs. later: Amm=<.25 / Nitrite=5ppm / NitrAte=100+ ish! Hard to tell, it's dark but not as dark as 160.

So just to verify I'll do the 90% WC, then the nitrite/nitrAte levels should be OK for fish? Is nitrite supposed to be 0? It was yesterday before dosing the ammonia.

Thank you again!

Right, you're aiming to have NO ammonia OR nitrite after 24 hours of dosing. When that happens you're ready for the 90% water change and fish.

Well, unfortunately, I jumped the gun (while waiting for replies; patience is not my virtue), and did the WC yesterday. Tested the water this morning, as expected amm./nitrites=0, nitrAtes=20. I added enough amm to bring it to about 1ppm. So, if I test the water tomorrow am (Sat-when we're supposed to get fish) and there's nitrites, that kills the idea right? That means waiting another week since it has to be a "family" affair.

To add insult to injury, I cracked my glass top while doing the WC. :(

Back
Top Bottom