Is my pH too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
Hi, just wanting to know is a pH of 7.5 too high for guppies? My town water is 7.5 and that's what I've been putting in my tank for the last few weeks. All my fish seem fine so far. I don't want to add any chemicals to lower it. Should I get some drift wood?

I think your PH is good (I did a quick search and it seems your PH is fine; recommended is PH between 6.8 and 7.6, by GuppyHobby.com.

Fish tend to acclimate fine to whatever the PH in your tank is. It's the PH swings that can cause harm. If your PH is stable, I'd leave it alone and not mess with it.

Your pH Question

Good morning Mumma...

A pH of 7.5 is on the alkaline side. Most marine fish prefer this type of water. A pH of 8.5 isn't too high. If you're an "old school" fishkeeper like me, this information is a little over my head.

I have several large tanks of Fancy Guppies and can tell you these little guys are very tolerant of water conditions in general as long as the water is changed frequently. I typically change a minimum of 50 percent of the water every three weeks and the fish and plants do very well.

pH is really unimportant to Guppies as long as the level remains constant.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

B

Back
Top Bottom