Is my stocking okay? (First Post wooo!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, my name is Lindsey and this is my first post though I admit I have been lurking for a few months!
Anyway I have a question and would like to hear opinions.
Is this tank considered overstocked?

15(ish, maybe slightly bigger like 16) gallon tall with

10 Neon Tetra
5 Male Fancy Guppy and 1 fry that was accidentally put in my bag at the store
1 Sunset Honey Gourami
1 Albino BN Pleco

I also have a 75 gallon tank that I would imagine is either at or slightly over full capacity but I have several 10-20 gallons currently not in use and a 3 gallon betta habitat with some ghost shrimp :)

I'm just wondering if I am overstocked? All the fish seem very happy and comfortable, if I'm not overstocked could I possibly add more (another sunset honey gourami maybe or guppy/ies?)?

Thanks :) I really love this and I love watching my fish and want to make sure they are happy. Also, how to care for an overstocked tank? Stronger filtration and more/larger pwc? :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AA! I wouldn't say it was overstocked , but I would say it's at it's limit.

I'd say overstocked only because the BN needs a 20 and it's a pleco
Be careful with that fry if it's a female you'll have to rehome it

Thanks guys! I think I will leave it as it is and move the pleco to my 75 gallon once it gets bigger and I actually have a chance at catching it lol, the little guy is just a baby and so tiny, he's adorable :) I'm glad to have finally joined this forum, I don't know many people in my area that enjoy fish keeping like I do

Oh yeah about the fry too lol, its only in there at the moment because I'm really curious about what he/she will look like when grown. Then if I determine its a female..hmm I guess I'll have to decide if I want to breed guppies in another tank or rehome.

Even if it is a female it doesn't have to be rehomed if you don't want it to be. You just may have an issue with fry layer or possible aggression by the males. The latter is not a certainty though so there isn't some hard and fast stocking ratio that always works.

I haven't decided what I would want to do with fry...I have an angel and a few other fish in my 75 that would probably happily gobble em all up but I would feel so guilty lol

You can keep your planned stock and just use the spare 20-gallon tank. A 20 long would be better than a 20 high. Wait until you have algae before you get the BN Pleco.

David

Back
Top Bottom