Is my tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliff0114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 55 gallon tank saterday morning and set it up that morning 5/15. I let the ugf run for 24 hours. I went sunday and got 10 goldfish to cycle the tank. Monday, yesterday I took a sample of water to the pet store and had it tested, ammonia was high, nitrates and nitrites where 0. I did a 50% water change and added, "Water Safe" by Jungle, that has benificial bacteria to help the tank along. Tested the water tuesday, And ammonia lvls are 0 nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 20. And the water is clear as a bell. ph is a little high about 8
I have yet to hear of a tank cycling in 2 days. Is it possible?
Oh and the feeder fish are swimming around having a blast and look very happy and not stressed at all.

Last edited:
Your tank is far from cycled. The ammonia and nitrites haven't even showed up yet. I just posted these links on another thread but here ya go ,

Nitrogen Cycle

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ady-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

It generally takes 3-6 weeks for a new tank to cycle. I prefer to do it withouht fish as many others do. Maybe some one else can jump in and give you more beneficial articles. Oh and don't change the water anymore for a while, it will only take longer. Good luck :)

ammonia was there yesterday, it was high, now all is gone and nitrates are present at 20, and ammonia is 0

his tank has cycled if he is showing nitrates.. and he did show ammonia hence "ammonia was high" ive had tanks cycle in as little as 3 days but not in just one.. maybe this is a success story of the bacteria?

Then that Jungle Water Safe w/ benificial bacteria is some good stuff. I used the tablets.

Whatever. You'll find out when your fish all die. Have you even researched or read any of this? Just because he has nitrates does NOT mean it has cycled. Everything has to spike and go back to zero first. I had nitrates at 20ppm before my nitrites even started showing up.

You came and asked for help and you got it. So if you knew your tank was cycled already why are you asking?

I'm highly skeptical of a tank cycling in two days. Have you tested the nitrate levels in your tap water? Many people have 20ppm of nitrate right out of the tap. I can see how that could be confusing.

Does your LFS use strips to test the water? If so, you'd be better off getting a liquid reagent test kit like the API Freshwater Master. Strips are unreliable at best. Keep an eye on your parameters. If, somehow, you don't see any ammonia or nitrites, but your nitrates keep rising, I'd say the tank is cycled.

Then that Jungle Water Safe w/ benificial bacteria is some good stuff. I used the tablets.

I have used those in the past and they do work they cycle your "water" almost instantly but your filter is not cycled if you have a liquid kit I recommend checking your water everyday and doing pwc's if your ammonia starts to climb. Also get a bottle of prime its much cheaper than those tablets a small bottle last forever.

Whatever. You'll find out when your fish all die. Have you even researched or read any of this? Just because he has nitrates does NOT mean it has cycled. Everything has to spike and go back to zero first. I had nitrates at 20ppm before my nitrites even started showing up.

You came and asked for help and you got it. So if you knew your tank was cycled already why are you asking?
lol your really sticking to your point. a fish wont die unless its more than it can handle.. 4 years ago before i knew about cycling. i was 15.. i put the fish straight in no cycle they lived for two years...

Ultimately I think it comes down to how hardy the fish are and exactly how high your levels get. But even if they survive their lifespans are shortened greatly and, well, it's just painful for them. Yeah I tend to stick to my points lol. The only fish that survived my 55 were the kois and the pleco, the rest went kaput. If I would have known then what I know now! And some people can probably get away with keeping their fish and not cycling their tank I'm sure. I just know I wouldn't like to have chlorine poured into my eyes, kind of the equivalent of ammonia in the gills.

Ultimately I think it comes down to how hardy the fish are and exactly how high your levels get. But even if they survive their lifespans are shortened greatly and, well, it's just painful for them. Yeah I tend to stick to my points lol. The only fish that survived my 55 were the kois and the pleco, the rest went kaput. If I would have known then what I know now! And some people can probably get away with keeping their fish and not cycling their tank I'm sure. I just know I wouldn't like to have chlorine poured into my eyes, kind of the equivalent of ammonia in the gills.
yeah it will hurt the fish, i wish i woulda known then :( and yeah i agree to cycle a tank before hand. i wouldnt even put a feeder fish in there i dont like the little guys hurting :(

[moderator edit], you people are a bunch of know it all want to be's. I have done nothing but read for a week trying to decide on how I want to stock my tank. I cycled my tank with fish and boom it started a feeding frenzy on this site.

I hate to bust your bubble, but all ten feeder fish are still alive and kicking, just checked the water ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 nitrates are 20.
I have not touched the tank for 2 days. Some of you have a tank and seem to know it all. And what is worse you bicker about it, like a bunch of 10 year olds. "I am right and you are wrong" crap. Get a grip and grow up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[moderator edit], you people are a bunch of know it all want to be's. I have done nothing but read for a week trying to decide on how I want to stock my tank. I cycled my tank with fish and boom it started a feeding frenzy on this site.

I hate to bust your bubble, but all ten feeder fish are still alive and kicking, just checked the water ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 nitrates are 20.
I have not touched the tank for 2 days. Some of you have a tank and seem to know it all. And what is worse you bicker about it, like a bunch of 10 year olds. "I am right and you are wrong" crap. Get a grip and grow up.

well you realize most of us have been dealing with tanks for a while right? hence we will know more stuff than a new person to tanks. i have a feeling this thread will be locked soon enough

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, folks let's calm the HECK down.

First of all, Cliff, if you are still around, please accept my apologies for how this thread of yours went. I myself can understand the frustration when it seems like the advice we give sounds like we're preaching. I tend to get snarky when I give advice and it seems the person who asked for it doesn't want to hear it. So the choice is ultimately up to you. If you don't want the advice of someone who has 12 successfully running tanks and adding 2 more, who also must have given good enough advice to be asked to become a site mentor, then hope things work out. If you do, then let's continue.

The links that logansmomma provided are very informative links and I suggest you check them out. Your tank is not cycled in a week. Not even using bacteria additives. Sorry, but that's the truth. Take it or leave it.

Ammonia higher than .25 will start affecting the fish in a negative way. Their gills wills tart to get ammonia burns not to mention what else happens to them.

Since you have decided to cycle with fish, you will need to do water changes, using only dechlor to keep the ammonia down. Since the beneficial bacteria live more on the gravel/substrate, plants/decor and not so much in the water column, water changes are your friend.

the thing is if the 3 dollar tablet worked in a day dont you think everyone would be using it? do you think people would pay more for raw shrimp and wait weeks when they could throw in the magic tablet and poof have everythign ready?

its not that everyone here is know it alls. its that the cycle system is science. its not some made up thing that some decided to spread and everyone believes it like the gospil. its just the way nature works. its the same process that goes into a 1 gallon pico tank and a 10000 gallon aquarium at sea world. no magic liquid or tablet will change it.

as for the thoughts on the fish. people in the aquarium hobby typically are for doing what it takes to preserve the fish. to give them a good home, a healthy enviroment. to ya they get upset when some are put in poisonous conditions. go to a dog forum and talk about how you would put a dog in a bad enviroment and see what kinda response you would get. my guess is alot worse then you would get here.

but it comes down to its your money, your tank and your morals. you can do whatever you want. most of our goals is to look after the fish not to give you the answers you want to hear.

im done with this thread.

I agree with Mr. Daniel, it's not worth my time to argue over something like this. I have been reading and discussing things on this forum for a while now, and I know if there was some miracle bacteria a good majority on here would have it and would have recommended it by now.

I wasn't trying to get ignorant or preach, my issue is that OP came and asked for help and when he got it he didn't want to hear it. That's fine. Do what you will with it. Just don't ask something if you think you know the answer already. Sorry if I sounded ignorant, I just disagree with animal cruelty and to me that is what is going on here.

I'm going to drop it now. :) Good luck on your tank.

Let`s try to remain calm on the subject. To the OP, You did ask for opinions and people gave them to you. You might not agreed with them but you did post and ask. Respect others opinions even if you dont agree.
To the rest of the posters all you can do is post your opinion and let the OP decide what he`s going to use. You cant make someone think like you. You can only provide the advice and then leave it up to them. I sure would hate to see to see this thread closed. Let`s remain civil.

Back
Top Bottom